I think I know where the problem is, but hoping that someone can confirm.
Recently (the last 3 months) songs within sets have taken longer to load as a whole. Even ones that I think are simple (e.g., VB3) are taking time. I’m thinking that there’s some interaction between the hogs (Omnisphere and Kontakt).
- It’s a relatively large setlist (usually @30 songs). We usually play 90-120 minute sets, and with the extra songs (just in case they get called up) it’s around 30 tunes. I don’t want to break it up if I don’t have to.
Things I’ve already done:
- I preload all the songs in the setlist
- I am using linked racks to keep the number of instances of plug ins down
- I do use the media play for some introductory parts(though I don’t think those preload as they are stream from disk)
- I have about 13 plug ins across all songs
- Everything is running from an M.2 SSD (2TB ) on a Lenovo, i7 1.8 ghz 4 core processor and 16GB memory
- I have a couple “go to’s” for often used sounds (Sonivox orchestral strings) that stay loaded with the same sample set and used across multiple tunes.
The most likely subjects?
I have Kontakt and Omnisphere, and while I have them in linked racks, the load time for them leaves something to be desired
Here’s what I’m thinking my next steps are
- In a perfect world there might be some sort of diagnostic that runs to capture load times. Especially helpful would be a pointer to the plug in that is taking the longest.
- Remove Omnisphere and see if is the culprit
- Remove Kontakt to see if it is the culprit
I was thinking that I could preload the most used Kontakt libraries (Session Horns) and Omnisphere patches but I don’t know if updating one slot will cause everything to reload (which could make things worse).
Any other guidance would be helpful
Thanks to the big Cantabile brain