OP-X Pro II compatibility

Hey Torsten - take a look at the last line in compatibility.ini in the same folder as Cantabile.exe - you can switch back to the old behaviour easily enough it if you want.

I’m fairly conflicted over what to do about this plugin - I wish it had a more sane preset model but I guess you’re right, pseudo presets might be the best still but trying to explain it’s behavior is somewhat difficult.

Brad

I wonder if pseudo presets could control all of the automation parameters somehow, for certain plugins such as this? So instead of storing all the bank information, they store all the VST parameters, per preset. It seems OP-X Pro-II behaves fine when driven via automated parameters.

Neil

@brad: Did you try to contact the guy from Sonic-Projects? I think he is a kind person… I was in touch with him a few times already and the support was always great. So maybe you can point him in the right direction to make the plugin work well with C3.

Hmm, given @Neil_Durant 's experience with presets being overwritten, I guess I’ll stick with @dave_dore 's approach. Seems the safest option ATM…

Cheers,

Torsten

This sounds like an idea I had at one point called “Lightweight Presets”. The idea is similar to to pseudo-presets but instead of storing the entire bank, the plugin get’s locked to one base program and the light-weight presets just capture the parameter values.

My concern was introducing another preset system might be just too confusing.

Brad

1 Like

Yeah I’ve spoken to Peter on numerous occassions. You’re right - nice guy, but he seems to be constrained by the fact that the plugin is actually a VST 3 plugin wrapped in VST 2 wrapper and getting that to work in conjuction with the plugin’s internal preset system is troublesome.

Still there are other plugins using the vst2 wrapper that don’t have this problem so I’m not sure.

Sounds like in this case we know the currently available preset system doesn’t work in C3 reliably. It needs a helping hand from the host to stabilize the sound selection for live use. If it is not a great leap I would help check the “Lightweight Presets” idea if experimented on for the reasons @Neil_Durant brings up when he mentions ‘plugins like this’ that would be more stable when addressed this way. Hopefully there are not many of them and they could be marked in the vst description file and then they could be directed to your proposed Lightweight Presets system. If the lightweight system only kicked on for those plugins many users may never know that feature was there, but those that use plugs like this because of the tone would welcome it. I use it and like it a lot so that’s 1 vote lol :grin:

Dave

2 Likes

I know this thread is from a long time ago. I am thinking of purchasing this plug since it’s on sale, and am wondering if it still has the same issues with C3?

Thanks - Paul

As far as I’m aware there aren’t any stability issues - it just has an unusual way of managing presets.

Hi Bartok2112,

i had to replace OP-X Pro II as it caused a few crashes.
U-He Diva is the best replacement: no crashes ever, preset management with C3 works like a charm and the sound is fantastic!

all the best
Steffen

At the moment I have no problems with OP-X. But I remember that it caused some crashes about a year ago…

+1 for DIVA, it is my favourite “analog” VSTi although you do need a powerful computer to run it on. OPX also sounds great, but I have not tried to use it in earnest in Cantabile yet. So need to work through the advice in this thread.

OP-X Pro sounds great but is a nightmare to edit. Why on earth did they reproduce the original interface in all its ugliness when there’s so much screen real estate to use? Cryptic acronyms, twiddly micro-pots, un-intuitive modulation - BLEEEECH! Yes, there may be a few gurus from way back then who really dig that interface, but I think they’re selling this beautiful sound engine short, because only a few gurus can actually operate it…

This is mainly why I’m currently migrating all my relevant OP-X sounds to other synths that are easier to manage. Hive for bread and butter, Diva for featured sounds will probably get most of the business.

Beyond those 2 synths, I’ll do a bit of exploring with Blue II and Hybrid for the not-so-classic-analog sounds…

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

Diva, Hive and Zebra from UH-E are all great. I am starting to get some of my favourite Yamaha AN1x sounds out of Hive. Hybrid is pretty good as well, and I have also become a big fan of Viper, which I learnt about via this community.

The only way I could get OP-X PRO II working reliability was check all the State Behavior boxes and let C3 shove all the patch settings down his throat. Zebra is much easier,but I haven’t abandoned OP-X yet.

2 Likes

I switched away from OP-X Pro II for almost exactly the reasons that Torsten mentioned. In my case, I switched to Arturia Matrix-12, Diva, and/or Omnisphere (depending on my mood for a particular song). Combinations of those 3 could produce a wonderfully fat analog sound – although pretty CPU-intensive!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up getting “Hive” instead and am very pleased.

• Paul
1 Like

I have problems with presets in 64bit version: