No audio with ISW Shreddage

I regularly use Shreddage Hydra and Stratus. Just recently they both started flaking on me. When I select a song there is no audio. I have to open the GUI (Kontakt 7) and then go from the main page to the articulaions tab. Then audio will start. I’m not changing any settings just the tab. When I am on the main page with no audio. I see notes getting fretted on the simulated guitar neck so I am confident that midi is getting to the plugin.

I have not yet spent a lot of time troubleshooting this. Could be Shreddage, Kontakt, Cantabile, or some other plug in. I’m just throwing this out there in case someone has already encoutered and solved this.

This sounds like a plugin issue.

If it can be made to work by switching tabs in the plugin GUI then it sounds like everything external to the plugin is setup and working correctly.

Report it to the plugin dev (pass on my contact details if you like in case they want to discuss it).

Brad

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. I’m going to try a few things first. Thanks!

I managed to find spme time to dig deeper into this. I reinstalled kontakt7, various shreddage guitars, and latest Cantabile. No difference. I started from a new setlist and a new song. The problem does not occur with Kontakt and guitar at song level, But if I use my linked rack in the new song I have the problem. I made a new linked rack with just Kontakt and guitar, no problem. Added the other stuff to the rack one at a time, still no problem. So now I have two seemingly identical racks. The original with the problem and new one that works fine. WTF?

I usually have things set up to save everything in the song. And both of these racks were set up that way. But the state behavior for the broken rack has the entire left column column checked while the new one has nothing checked. If I check everything in the new rack, it is now broken. Next I will try to figure out if it is one particular item. But I’m old and it’s late…

If you’d like to send me the two rack files, with a note on which works and which doesn’t I’ll take a look and see if I can spot the difference.

Hi Brad, Thanks for the interest. I have done a little more digging. The problem seems to be related to Kontakt7, not the particular Kontakt instrument in use.

Let me know if I am doing something wrong. I nearly always work with linked racks with everything stored in the song. When I add a new plug in I go into state behaviors and check the entire left column. As I understand it, if an item is not checked it will not be stored in the song. Rather than think too hard about what I want to store, I just check everything.

By process of elimination I determined that the problem I am having with no sound until I go into Kontakt is tied to exporting Poly Mode On. If I uncheck this (all 16 of them) then the issue goes away. I tried this on the other ISW guitars that I own and they act the same. Then I tried a random Komplete library (Scarbee Clavinet) and it also acts the same. Then I tried another random instrument 8dio digeridoo. While making similar changes there, Cantabile crashed with the following

I don’t really think that crash is related to the discussion here. I’ve seen it before when I get impatient and start clicking stuff before what is currently happening is complete.

I doubt that you need my particular rack to simulate this but I’m happy to provide it if you still want it. Let me know if there is any other info I can provide.

-ray

Was that a crash or just an error message? If a crash, did you send the crash report?

Brad

Definitely crashed. Cantabile closed after OK on that popup. Help me out locating a crash report. Name? Folder?

Back on the original topic. I can’t make any sense out of exporting poly mode on causing loss of audio. But I am starting to rethink my theory of just exporting everything. Maybe saving CC values in a song is not such a good idea. I just managed to save to a song after I had accidentally bumped the mod wheel. Next time I selected that song I was surprised to be hearing vibrato.

Usually, Cantabile should prompt you to send a crash report. If it’s not, it usually suggests something lower level going wrong. You could check the settings folder (Tools → Open Settings Folder) then go to the Crash Reports sub-folder. If there’s something there that corresponds to this error please send it to me.

If you’re able to reproduce the shown crash, could you do so and while the error message is displayed, press Ctrl+C to copy it and paste in here for me.