New feature needs testing: VST 3 Audio Bus Configuration

Hey All,

For the last month or so I’ve been working on the ability to configure audio busses on VST 3 plugins - and I think it’s nearly ready

It’s mostly straightforward, but there’s a couple of quirks so I made a video showing what’s new and how it works.

As mentioned in the video, I’ve tested with quite a few plugins but I can’t possibly test them all and I’d like to get some feedback before putting it in the experimental release feed. If you’ve got time, and can deal with possible issues, please watch the video and try it out with any VST 3 plugins you have.

Build 4172 - Get It!

Build 4173 - Get It!

Keen for feedback :slight_smile:

Brad

8 Likes

In the middle of changing my setup here, but I watched the video and that is going to be an awesome feature to add to all the other awesome features of Cantabile. You sir are the Energizer bunny of programmers. I picture you hunched over the keyboard, with a rubbish can littered with Red Bull and Monster cans. I can’t wait to try this out as I’m just finishing up a home studio and things are a bit chaotic at the moment. The video explains it perfectly if you were accepting feedback on that. .

2 Likes

Agree

Looks pretty easy to get the grey matter around. :+1:

@Brad, I’m getting an “audio engine timeout” that never resolves when loading my default setlist with the 4172 build. I did not experience this issue with build 4171. Nothing in my setlist or USB audio interface configuration has changed, and 4171 still works fine. Log file is attached.

log_24.04.14.zip (914.5 KB)

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for reporting this - as best I can from the log it looks like a plugin hanging on setting the speaker arrangement for one of it’s busses. I’ll need to reproduce this here but it’d be best if you can narrow it down a little first:

1. If you’ve got set list pre-loading turned on for that set list, turn it off, and see if you can narrow this down to a particular song.
  2. Once you’ve narrowed it down to a song, send me that song file and I’ll see if I can reproduce it.
  3. Even better… it’d be good to try and narrow it down to a particular plugin by unloaded (right click plugin → Unloaded) a half of them and then divide and conquer to isolate a particular plugin.
  4. You should be able to prevent the hang (in order to enable/disable plugins) by using the “Don’t Start Audio Engine” option in the recovery dialog that appears when you start Cantabile after crash/force kill.

TL;DR: anything you can do to help me reproduce this here will be very helpful.

Brad

@Brad, with pre-loading turned off and the “don’t start audio engine” startup option enabled, the setlist loads and I can open every song with no problem. I can then turn on pre-loading with the audio engine off and all songs load and I can switch between songs with no issues. As soon as I turn the audio engine on, it hangs.

BTW, this behavior occurs when I am using my Steinberg UR22C USB interface or when I am disconnected from the UR22C and routing Realtek audio through my laptop speakers. So the ASIO driver vs. the WASAPI driver appears not to matter. I can also replicate this issue on multiple setlists that were created at different points in time.

Back on 4171 and everything is working normal again.

Hi Bruce,

I’ll need to narrow this down to reproduce it. Please try this:

1. Turn set list pre-loading off
  2. Turn audio engine
  3. Step through your set list and see if you can narrow this down to a particular song or plugin that’s triggering this.

If you can narrow it down, please send me the problematic song and any referenced racks and I’ll look into it.

Brad

Brad,

I identified the VST3 plugin that is hanging. It is Waves Audio - CLA MixHub Lite Stereo. I use this plugin extensively as a channel strips in my main mixer rack.

The VST2 version of this plugin opens with no issue in 4172, so the problem is specific to the VST3 variant.

Hope this helps. Again, the CLA MixHub Lite Stereo VST3 plugin loads fine in build 4171 and all previous builds.

Bruce

Hi @bpeterson1123

Excellent. Thanks narrowing it down. I’m out all day tomorrow but will look into this asap.

Brad

Hi @bpeterson1123,

New build 4173 should fix this. Please let me know how it goes.

Download 4173

Brad

1 Like

Works like a champ, Brad. Thank you for addressing this issue so quickly.

1 Like

Hi Bruce,

Great… thanks for letting me know.

Brad

Hi Brad,

In Wiring View I see this with Kontakt7. It’s a bit annoying to see 54 unassigned busses.

Kontakt7_wiring_view

Also, in Properties → Audio Busses, when I select multiple objects (shift-click or drag), deselecting a single bus doesn’t deselect all the ‘blue’ ones, as expected, but only the one I clicked on.

Properties-AudioBusses

I don’t know if this is by design or if it needs some improvement. Or just that is. My bad, the space bar!

Paolo

This is all by design…

• All those ports are shown is because the plugin is reporting that those busses should be activated by default.
  • To check/uncheck multiple items, select them and press the space key.

Brad