Navigation and bindings. Is there a way to trigger a tab key?

As part of my Cantabile fault tolerance experiment, I like to have a series of Bindings that will change the Audio Engine from “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver” to “X-Air XR18 ASIO Driver” . Here’s the sequence I need (Assumes some preconfiguring of cursors and selections):

Execute Command -> UI Command -> Tools-Options //Opens window, cursor on “Audio Engine”
Navigation -> Tab // ??? no Tab? is there another key that will work?
Navigation -> down arrow // multiple times to get to XR18 (or other device)
Navigation -> Enter

This sequence would be used to activate a stand-by computer and change the Audio Engine from “Generic Low Latency ASIO” to XR-18 so I wouldn’t have to “mouse hunt” for it in the event of a failure of the primary.

Is there a way to emulate/simulate a Tab character to move the cursor from the Left Hand pane of the “Options…” box to the Right-side pane with the pull-down list of Audio Drivers?

Inquiring mind wants to know,
Richard

I used to use a tiny keyboard macro app that was reliable. Can’t remember the name right now. I’ll look in my software install archive. It could definitely send a tab from it’s executable.

1 Like

Ahh. Good idea

How about using AutoIt or AutoHotKey with an “External Command” binding? Both can compile their scripts to an .exe file that you can launch with “External Command”

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Yes - AutoIt and AutoHotKey are the products I have used to send keystrokes.

Perfect. Thanks guys. The value of community when you’re stuck thinking one way.

Late to the conversation, but I’ll add another option. ( I use AutoHotKey, too.) There is a company called M-VAVE who makes a little 4-switch wireless controller called a ‘Chocolate.’ They are sometimes re-branded with other names. 99% of folks are using it with Bluetooth MIDI, which a) requires a wireless MIDI adapter in many cases; and b) seems to have all sorts of issues and gotchas. I’m using it in keystroke mode, where each of the four switches just sends a standard keystroke command as if it were a Bluetooth computer keyboard. It works great in this manner, and is quite stable. I set up key bindings in Cakewalk, and use the four switches for Play/Stop, Loop, RTZ, and Panic. It’s much better to have big, dedicated buttons during a live show, IMO.

I have a 2nd Chocolate that is programmed for Record, Punch-In, End-of-Song, and Solo; I use the pair when recording.

The unit is small, and the built-in rechargeable battery lasts 6-8 hours. (It can also be connected via USB-C, if you can live with the extra wire.) The only real downside is that the switches are standard footswitch style, which doesn’t lend itself to hand operation. Fortunately, lots of vendors sell colored aluminum footswitch ‘hats’ on eBay and Amazon, and they work nicely to make the switches hand-friendly, and to color-code them.

Regards,
-BW

1 Like