Multiple Audio Ports with USB 2.0 ... No More

Yes Its Upgrade Time…

Seeing that I was not running Win10 on my old Win7 Laptop, when I came into a bit of money I decided to Upgrade the whole mess with a quick HP that ran the needed programs. I was sure to get a fast & fat unit that should meet my needs for the rest of this old guys life…:computer:

The Crown Jewel of all my Gear is the Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0. For those who don’t know, USB 2.0 allows your DAW to run 18 Channels of Audio from the Multimix into a DAW or Cantabile and record each channel independently from the others.

However, now that I have upgraded to Win10 and new computer, I am no longer able to see or use this capability when running Cantabile. I’m stuck with only 2 ins & 2 Outs. :alien:

Current State:

1. I have updated my Win10 Driver for the Multimix downloading it from Alesis.
    Driver Version 2.9.64 ; Firmware Version 1.1.0 (k4)

2. The Alesis USB Audio Device driver shows it working with 18 in and 2 out.

3. I follow the Alesis Protocol when turning on my Studio. Alesis suggest users turn on all their Audio/Midi gear first, before turning on the Win10 Laptop last. Which I do.

4. I am using a USB 2.0 cable and have it plugged into a USB 2.0 port in the computer.

5. I have been able to use the 16 channel audio input feature in my current DAW - Cakewalk.

So, if you have any insights or a solution I would appreciate hearing from you.

Blessings,
dmc
<><

Hi dmc,

First off I’d like to ask if the ASIO driver is selected for the Audio Engine? If you are able to could you post a screen shot of the Audio Engine setup window in Tools>Options>Audio Engine>Audio Driver so we can see what you have going? If your other DAW is working like expected then Cantabile should too.

e.g.

Another thing to consider is that the Audio ports you made on the previous laptop have to be either be restored from the last good settings file from your previous pc or recreated in the Audio ports section. If all those boxes are checked already let us know and we’ll find the next step.

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

Hi,
It seems you are using the latest driver so, as Dave said, there’s no reason it can’t work. Just check if you are using ASIO drivers in Cantabile’s settings. It can happens the driver won’t work using two DAWs at the same time (consider Cantabile works like a DAW). Shared driver is an ASIO feature, but maybe your Alesis don’t support that. Try using only Cantabile, it will detect the ASIO interface in the Audio Engine settings page.

Paolo

1 Like