Move to larger/faster drive with no OS or app installing

(I wrote this up for Corky and decided to post it as a support resource on the forum)

If you decided to go to a larger/faster drive you can do it quickly with no reinstalling of OS and apps.

First you need this USB to SATA drive cable for laptop drives:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For larger desktop drives (also works with laptop drives) use this unit (recommended by Paolo)
Amazon.com: Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [Support UASP] (EC-DFLT): Computers & Accessories

Then download Macrium Reflect Free:

Download by clicking on the green free button on the lower left of this page – you don’t need to put in your email address when the download box pops up

This support page shows you the exact steps:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/Creating+a+backup+image+of+your+computer%2C+drive+or+partitions

I zipped up a PDF of the above page in case the link changes:
Creating a backup image of your computer, drive or partitions.zip (249.4 KB)

Once the drive is cloned you just swap it out with the existing drive and it will boot right up as usual but with the new larger/faster drive. This step might involve removing the bottom plate which in some cases requires Torx bits. I bought this little set of tools for phone and laptop disassembly.

If you aren’t mechanically inclined you can do everything but the physical swap - find someone who has opened a laptop up to help you with the final step.

1 Like

Hi Doug,

Just a little hint. Using a laptop with no high output current USB, might cause instability (and even data losses) on certain HDD. A powered SATA -> USB adapter is more reliable. I bought five of them eight years ago, still using all those adapter, never a problem. Here an example.

Paolo

1 Like

Hi Paolo,

Excellent point - I was thinking strictly of laptop SSD’s that do power from the USB port. Will edit to add your link for desktop HDD upgrades. I have used that one - I like that it lays flat.

Doug

1 Like