Modelled stuff v massive libraries

Only just found out about SWAM and the Roland breath controller.
After playing with Pianoteq 6 I’m coming around to modelled instruments.

2 Likes

Hey, Pap!

May I also suggest:

https://www.aodyo.com

and

I currently use the EWI5000/SWAM Instruments with great success!

Doug

1 Like

SWAM is interesting stuff. It can sound very good on its own and very thin and nasty in a mix- it needs a lot of roughing up. And it takes (for me at least) a lot of micro-programming to introduce natural flaws and intonation humanizing, even though some of that can be down automatically with micro-tuning and such. My main issue is a thinness of sound. But the expressiveness is amazing. It is the way things will go!

Alternate controllers do make life much better with these things.

I am using the instruments from Audio Modelong (The Saxophones, Double Reeds & Flutes - SWAM) and those from SampleModeling (The Trumpet & French Horns and Tuba - Kontakt Player). I used them in our church orchestra and our Community Concert Band and one could not determine whether it was “Live or Memorex”!

Doug

1 Like

I’ve loaded up all my pianos in Cubase and spent hours clicking back and forth and playing notes and chords and I still come back to Pianoteq. I can’t put my finger on it but the ‘voicing’ (hammer felting) seems better and maybe the sound board or bridge tone.
Anyway the Pianoteq 6 modelled Steinway D just sounds right and I guess the Steinway & Sons approval must count for something.
I think the modelling brainiacs at MODARTT will likely see the sample players off.

1 Like

We’re all going to look like the Mos Eisley Spaceport cantina musos.