Migrating rack states?

I doubt it, but is there a way to migrate rack states to another rack? Need to rebuild a rack with a problematic plugin. Thanks!
Tom

Rack states are well above my depth, but have you tried saving the rack to a duplicate (save-as), open the duplicate rack in a new song, then delete the problem plugin, save the original rack, delete it, open the duplicate to see if it populates with your states (possibly saved in the song) and if so, add the plugin back in.

I’d make backups of everything (song and racks) and work with the backups, incase all gets lost.

Unfortunately, rack states are stored with the specific plugins and routes within the rack file, so there’d be quite a bit of fiddling involved, depending how broadly your rack states apply.

If you want to conserve the settings of the rack file outside the plugin you are replacing, you might use a copy of the rack in question and do a “replace plugin” (right-click). All other rack state information (routes, other plugins) should be ok. But when you replace a plugin, all its rack state information gets lost - Cantabile can’t know what to do with it in the context of a different plugin.

Let us know more specifically what the rack looks like and what plugin you want to replace - maybe you can also share the rack file here, then I can take a look.

Cheers,

Torsten

Honestly - don’t do that!

As soon as you delete the plugin, you also delete all routes to/from it (that may contain state information) and invalidate bindings pointing to it. Also, rack states are NOT saved within a song - they are saved inside the rack file.

Excellent to know. Thank you Torsten.

So, the problem plugin (that might be fixed by reinstalling) can only be replaced by deletion, which will delete routes (I’ve seen this), and bindings (I have no MIDI source yet). Then the states must be recreated (after the routes and bindings are recreated), and then saved (as repaired) into the rack file.

It sounds like the focus should be on reinstalling the problem plugin into the rack.

I still think I would save the rack to a backup file to make a working copy, before going after the original rack. But again, I’m new at all of this and there may be a better way.

Honestly, I believe you should learn your way around racks, rack states etc yourself before trying to give advice to others - Tom’s original problem might be a bit too complicated for you to offer meaningful help.

No offense, but this is the deep end of the pool…

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thanks Torsten, I figured as much. I ended up rebuilding the rack and states, since the rack was one of the first I made years ago and had become bloated. Pretty sure it got corrupted somehow, very strange behavior. But yeah I made a copy, replaced, then built states. It helped to have the old rack on backup rig for reference. All good now. Thanks!
Tom

1 Like

Will do.

Merry Christmas