Midi/USB Foot Controller. DIY or not?

Looking good!:+1::notes:

1 Like

Hi Torsten.
I need your help!
Finally after 3 months I got the 2 Teensy LCā€™s and the components for mounting and wiring.
At this point I would appreciate your help. Let me explain what I would like to achieve.

1. The 1st Teensy LC would serve me for 5 buttons.
    This board should not have the 5 DIN connectors for midi In/Out, but only the USB type C connector to connect to the PC as Controller.
    This first board I would like to insert it inside my EC5 pedalboard because it fits quietly inside.
    I would need here your help for the program because I am not able to compile it.

The 2nd Teensy LC, on the other hand, for 10 buttons and 4 potentiometers.
This board, instead, can provide Midi In/Out connectors.
Also here I need your help for the program because, as before, Iā€™m not able to compile it.
I will need this board for the digital controls of up-down song/rack, up-down tone, Leslie, etcā€¦ and for the analog controls of Volume, Expression, Wah and fade. This board comes in a special distribution box.

Obviously the wiring diagrams will be different, if you have the goodness to help me and instradarmi even in this!

Surely I will have to buy some components, like photo couplers and resistors, but this is not a big problem, I have a nearby supplier of electronic components.

If you want to help me in the enterprise I would be infinitely grateful.

Sergio

Hey Sergio,

good to see youā€™re getting started on Teensy. Just to clarify language-wise: is this about being able to ā€œcompileā€ the program in the sense of loading it onto the Teensy, or is this about actually writing the code to do what you want?

If itā€™s about taking a look at your code and seeing what is keeping it from correctly loading onto the Teensy, I can certainly do that. But if you are asking me to write your code for you, I must politely but firmly decline.

I am super-busy in my professional life, and in my free time, I try to focus on making music and doing a bit of programming for my own projects. I simply wonā€™t take on pro-bono coding jobs for others. And to pre-empt the question: no, you probably wonā€™t want to pay my daily consulting rates :wink:

Regarding the circuitry wiring, the Teensy is pretty simple: for digital switches, you simply put the switch between the signal pin and ground and configure the port for INPUT_PULLUP. See here.

And for potentiometers, use the analog ports. You connect the end pins of the pot to +3.3V and ground, and connect the wiper to the analog input port. For some insight in the code, see Teensyduino Tutorial #4: Using analog inputs to read signals.

For the DIN MIDI ports and the necessary circuitry, see here

Cheers,

Torsten

Hi everyone.
Let me clarify some things regarding my small DIY works with Arduino and TeensyLC boards and especially with my simple questions/requests to Torsten.

He replied to me and initially I was disappointed. Then I thought that maybe I had expressed myself wrong , that I wanted to exploit the situation with economic purposesā€¦ Then I thought about it, I thought that maybe I had explained myself wrong and so I decided to answer Torsten in private.

I preface that I tried to explain myself with Torsten privately. Expressing me, my ideas, him, his ideas.

Above all, I would like to remove any misunderstanding about the value of my requests, in this case made to Torsten, but which may confuse others in the Forum.

This can often happen because of the various translators (me as Italian, you as German, or English, or other). And not only that!

I explained to Torsten my point of view, very simple and very sincere.
What I wrote privately to him, I would now like to express also to those who will read this post of mine, in order to avoid unpleasant misunderstandings in the future.

I report here what had been Torstenā€™s comment in the last thread, a few days ago:

ā€¦ If itā€™s about taking a look at your code and seeing what is keeping it from correctly loading onto the Teensy, I can certainly do that. But if you are asking me to write your code for you, I must politely but firmly decline.
I am super-busy in my professional life, and in my free time, I try to focus on making music and doing a bit of programming for my own projects. I simply wonā€™t take on pro-bono coding jobs for others. And to pre-empt the question: no, you probably wonā€™t want to pay my daily consulting ratesā€¦

This was the answer in a previous post, always on a similar topic:

I am getting the impression that you are on another spontaneous wild goose chase here, and you seem to expect others to solve things for you - but thatā€™s not how this community works.
Apologies if I sound like an old school headmaster - must be in my genes
The two answers are similar in content. This is where I would like to better explain how I feel.

Below is an excerpt of my attempt to clarify with Torsten that I obviously extend to all of you:

Hi Torsten.
I am replying to you in private, someone in the Forum might misrepresent my words.
Maybe you did not understand the meaning of my post, after all I was not very clear, I just threw it out there, maybe without too much attention.
So excuse me, I will try to clarify.
I certainly donā€™t mean to take away your time, precious, because it is definitely your job as a musician, I would never do that!!!
Respect comes first!!!

*I, a retiree, have no problem with free time to devote to others. *
So I understand you, completely.
Pro-bonoā€¦ itā€™s obvious that I canā€™t ask you for something like this.
The sense of commerce on a forum like this seems out of place to me.

If I really needed a particular project you would be perfectly right, all the more reason if I had to make money from it I would ask, in the Forum, if anyone knows designers for a particularly complex project.

And this, I donā€™t think it is assimilable to my good intentions, that is the desire to create something with my own hands and with the help of someone as good as you!

Of course, I apologize to all of you if I have offended anyone or if anyone has resented me.
I hope you have understood the spirit that animates me to be with all of you.

With friendship

Sergio

Hi to all.

I am gladly and enthusiastically resuming a topic left unresolved some time ago.
I finally managed to find a way to make with Teensy cards (I had purchased two LC and two 4.1) a Midi Controller for my EC5 pedalboard, for my two Half Moon, for my foot potentiometers and to much more!

I was able, as had happened with the Arduino circuits (John Toth - @Jtoth), to find a person who finally helped me how to prepare a Teensy code and especially how to go about modifying it as needed and required.

I must say that this friend, Thierry (@Troman), was instrumental in helping me understand how to set up Teensy. He explained how he had made a simple code (it was one-button), where he had seen it made on a website, and we went from there, together.

All this, because he said he was as interested as I was in making Controllers with multiple inputs and then making more code for Teensy.

I premise that of programming language, too pushy for me, for these codes I am not and will never be very well versed (at my age it takes timeā€¦), but I just needed someone to follow me to understand where and how to intervene in the compilation of the code.

I will also preface this by saying that I had had some suggestions in the Forum, I had been given some explanations, this yes, but without ever going into detail, very generically.

I had the need, just for comparison, to hoe the vegetable garden and what tool was best to hoe with?

This code, at its base, is very simple, with just a few lines. Within it there are strings that should not be changed at all (donā€™t ask me why: I donā€™t knowā€¦maybe Iā€™ll get to that later) and others to intervene in order to adapt the circuit-code to oneā€™s needs.

My Teensy cards fit quietly into the EC5, into another pedalboard, DIY, and into a small box.

For the two Half Moons I used a small box in which I made a wiring harness dedicated to them. I preferred to use a separate box because the Teensy cards did not fit easily into their respective Half Moons.

My Half Moons (one original Hammond and one self-made by me) have a three-position selector switch, and in the box described above there is a small circuit with precision resistors that establish the Slow, Brake and Fast moments, the circuit of which controls one of the Analog inputs.

I also have a Line 6 pedalboard, but this one works on its own.

It is useful to me for other controls.

If anyone is interested I will give up the copyright for free ā€“ and I will also explain it to them, again for freeā€¦ :rofl:

ā€¦However, if I sell the patent, I will buy all of Cantabile, including Bradā€¦ :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers

Sergio

1 Like