MIDI routing/bindings in VST ONLY plugins

I have several plugins which require midi bindings thru the host. When I assign a controller to more than one of these plugins, it performs it’s function on all of the assigned plugins regardless of which plugins are enabled. Is there a way to disable midi to those plugins that are not currently enabled?

To clarify: Plugins like Amplitube, Guitar Rig and others which have standalone versions provide for midi mappings within the plugin, so only a route from the controller to the plugin is required. When the plugin is disabled, it ceases to process midi as well as audio.

VST only plugins (Thermionik, BIAS AMP) can’t be routed to, they require host bindings. Once a binding is set, anything it’s bound to in any VST only plugin is affected, regardless of which plugin is active. Is there a workaround to this behavior?

Hi @rd2rk,

I’m not sure I’m understanding your terminology but it sounds like you’re talking about plugins where assignments between MIDI controllers and the plugin’s parameters are done with the plugins own assignment mechanism vs assignments using Cantabile’s bindings?

The main difference here is the way the MIDI events are routed. With Cantabile’s bindings the MIDI events are hooked very early in the chain and sent directly to the plugin’s exported parameters and can then be optionally suppressed (via the right click on the binding slot -> Routing Mode).

For assignment made within the plugin the MIDI events need to be routed through Cantabile’s normal MIDI routing mechanism. It sounds like you’ve got multiple routes from one source to multiple plugins so those MIDI events will be sent to all plugins.

When you say “regardless of which plugin is active” what exactly do you mean - how are you changing the “activeness” of a plugin.

Have you tried suppressing the MIDI routes for the inactive plugins?

Brad

Hi Brad,

I’m not sure I’m understanding your terminology but it sounds like you’re talking about plugins where assignments between MIDI controllers and the plugin’s parameters are done with the plugins own assignment mechanism vs assignments using Cantabile’s bindings?

Yes

The main difference here is the way the MIDI events are routed. With Cantabile’s bindings the MIDI events are hooked very early in the chain and sent directly to the plugin’s exported parameters and can then be optionally suppressed (via the right click on the binding slot -> Routing Mode).

Not working.

For assignment made within the plugin the MIDI events need to be routed through Cantabile’s normal MIDI routing mechanism. It sounds like you’ve got multiple routes from one source to multiple plugins so those MIDI events will be sent to all plugins.

No problems there.

When you say “regardless of which plugin is active” what exactly do you mean - how are you changing the “activeness” of a plugin.

Resume/Suspend. Works for audio only.

Have you tried suppressing the MIDI routes for the inactive plugins?

I’m using Cantabile’s own Bindings for this, as direct Controller to Plugin Routing is not possible with these VST Only (Thermionik) Plugins. Right clicking the Binding/Routing Mode/Suppress doesn’t work.
Using the Enabled On/Off selector works, but, as each of these 25(!) Thermionik Amp Plugins has as many as a dozen MIDI enabled controls, turning them all On/Off (or using Suppress) each time I want to use a different plugin is not practical.

Could you send me a copy of your song/rack files - I’m not really following what the issue is here but perhaps if I can reproduce it here might help