MIDI-only Operation?

Running Cantabile with only a MIDI interface (and no audio interface) does not seem to work.

Tried running Cantabile with just a MIDISport 2x2 connected via direct USB. Also tried with a Sylphyo Link box connected. The MIDI ports are recognized in Cantabile as being connected, but no MIDI passes through. I tested the Sylphyo Link box with another app (Sylphyo Bench) and the port operates normally.

When I add my audio interface (RME UCX II) on a separate direct USB and re-start Cantabile, the Sylphyo Link and MIDISport MIDI ports work as expected.

Powering down the audio interface while Cantabile is up has similar results - the MIDI stream on the (separate, unrelated) MIDI devices stops.

Bug? Feature? (ā€¦ or maybe my SNAFU ā€¦)

Have you tried selecting ā€˜nullā€™ as the audio interface? If you donā€™t have an audio interface selected, then the audio engine canā€™t start, and then the midi signals does not get handled either.

2 Likes

That works. Thanks @TorstenH!

MIDI passes reliably on all channels with the Null Audio driver selected.

Interesting that Null Audio has a buffer, with 64 samples as a minimum - more than the RME UCX II and BabyFace Pro-FS, which have a minimum of 48 samples @ 48 kHz.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget to switch back when getting ā€œback to normalā€ - Iā€™m still hoping for Brad to include support for a default sound card and having the null as standard backup solution :-).

If you look in settings.json for ā€˜audioDriverSettingsā€™, youā€™ll be able to set the bufferSize for the null interface manually.
Youā€™ll have to do some of your excellent testing to see if it makes a difference :slight_smile:

1 Like