MIDI Note groups / chords as binding source?

I have a specific situation in the intro of Kyrie by Mr. Mister where the whistly synth arpeggios are on midi files in the media player. I would love to be able to switch to the next arpeggio (file) as I hit the big piano/synth chords. Having the chords be the binding trigger. Does that makes sense? Is there already a way to do this?

Thanks!

~ vonnor

1 Like

Hi @vonner,

Unfortunately not - you can only trigger a binding on a specific note, not a chord of notes. Unless you can find a plugin thatā€™ll detect the chord and generate some other kind of MIDI event, not sure this is possible.

Brad

Is it logically possible as a future enhancement to the binding triggers in Cantabile? I obviously do not know the code base or how that module is put together. Instead of listening for just one note, listen for a group of notes?

Iā€™ve logged it for consideration. Interested to hear who else might find this useful.

Brad

3 Likes

Iā€™m sure Iā€™d use it at some point, if it were added to Cantabile. One example would be to use the bindings to trigger bass pedal notes, so you hold a chord, and get a pre-programmed bass note. Just for certain sections of a song where you donā€™t have enough hands/feet (youā€™d also need to be able to handle the note-off too though).

Neil

1 Like

(sorry for my english)

I agree with this ideaā€¦we have to keep in mind that perfect instant chords arenā€™t very easy to play so @brad :wink: will be capable to let us to configure in the binding window a kind of latency between all the chords notes ON event to trigger the entire chord.
An example could be a grissed chords with two hands.

This is just a remark :slight_smile:

Oh! If i can say, this feature could let us to choose what the ā€œchordā€ is made of: not only notes but a group of note + pedal + other events all played together.
At this point i can say that the feature could be extended to let us to group multiple source to the same target:
an example would be to be able to swich to next song state through multiple notes even if played independently.
In this way we donā€™t have to duplicate ā€˜nā€™ times a binding to use the same target but use a kind of ā€œsource groupingā€

What do you think about?

Bye!

That would be a use case for me as well Iā€™ve always thought that that would be cool.

The other thing I would use it for is to send triggers to be DMX light show based on chord

@KimeraBubble is correct that chord detection is a trickier beast than just reacting to single notes.

Yes, i read your example! but I was thinking to jump over the simple chord or chord+pedal so merge multiple different source events to control one target.

This with the ability to link all source events together with a common max latency (to start the binding) or without it, to leave the source events indipendent from each other.

I would love to see something like this - for example, to be able to use the keyboardā€™s sustain pedal as a shift key, so that the combination of sustain pedal + other controller would perform a specific action. As a particular example, i have a binding on a controller button on the keyboard to Next Song - but itā€™d be great it that button could either be Next Song or Previous Song depending on the state of the sustain pedal.

2 Likes

Hi JimboKeys! This is already possible within cantabile.
Take a look at this post: Singlepress, doublepress and modifier keys

Greetings, Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the examples. I had considered that this might be doable with states in a song, but hoped i could set something up in the background rack rather than having to duplicate these bindings in every one of 80+ songs (not to mention the complications of needing states within states where iā€™m already using states for intro/verse/chorus etc.) But i totally appreciate your kind assistance - this forum is awesome !

• Jimbo

Donā€™t forget you can put the bindings in a linked rack and just add that to each of your songs, and rack states can provide re-usable variations on the bindings.

Neil

I only want this feature so that when I play a certain sequence of chords a secret door opens in my studio.

Terry

7 Likes

Yes, Iā€™d use this. An AND operator to join 2 or more source bindings together would be great.

1 Like

ā€¦ and when I play a secret chord, a voice comes from above ā€œwell done, Davidā€ā€¦

2 Likes

Take a look at this.

2 Likes