Midi file volume control

Is there a way to control the volumes of midi tracks within the midi files in the media player?
Eg bass, drums, keys.

Thanks Doug

Hi Doug,

There is but it requires a rack to do the filtering and replace the CC 7 values for the tracks (channels). The tracks are are sequential midi channels 1-16. I made a rack that can do this for C3 performer. Are you interested?

Dave

1 Like

Yes I would, I currently am able to mix drum, bass and keys separately because I am using a ui24r from soundcraft, but I would like to use my focusrite scarlett 6i6 to keep the rig smaller.
Thanks Doug

One option might be to just open the MIDI tracks in Reaper and then you have all the faders right there. You can still use the live host at the same time. That’s what I’ve done on a laptop with only 4G of RAM and have very little issues.

Hey Doug,

Here is the rack

MIDI 16 CHANNEL VOLUME MIXER.cantabileRack (81.5 KB)

Here is how to use it and how it works. First off this rack does 2 things.

• blocks any CC7 channel volume messages from the midi file from passing to the plugins or MIDI outputs

• replaces them with the values you set inside the rack with the sliders provided and then save those values with the Cantabile song file for recall. All channels are adjustable in real time as well when the rack is open.

Place the rack at song level and route the Media player MIDI out to the rack MIDI In and route the rack MIDI Out to whatever VST instrument or MIDI port you want. Like in this example.

start playing the MIDI file and open the new mixer rack and you will see the sliders on separate embedded racks for adjusting the CC7 channel volume for each of the 16 channels. Notice that the state behavior for the 16 embedded rack sliders are set to save the value with the Cantabile song file (Output Gain). This allows you to reuse the rack on any song.

Here is the CC 7 filter used to block the MIDI file CC 7 messages placed on the MIDI pass through input route of the rack.

The sliders go to bindings that replace the CC 7 values for each MIDI channel and re-merge with the filtered MIDI messages from the media player at the Rack MIDI output where you feed it to the VST or MIDI ports.

As stated the values you set are recalled with each song you adjust and save the song.

I use it when I need it and it has worked fine. The only ease of use complaint is having to open the rack to adjust things but after they are set it never opens again so I don’t mind it at all …Hope it helps! :smile:

Dave

1 Like