MIDI Controllers and Live Performance

Wow…many thanks for this exhaustive answer. It will solve my problem. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I was mixed up and somehow go to thinking he wanted to use the continuous slider. My mistake, and apologies for any mix-up I caused. :grinning:

Dave

Spider Pro is great, like Torsten says, quick easy setup. Its been great playing at some of the small fests where you only get 15 mins setup time. I’ve also got the laptop stand for mine that I find very handy and sturdy :slight_smile:

Chris

I just got my Spider Pro yesterday… Very nice stand! However, I noticed that my lower keyboard slants down towards the back. If I put a 1" board under the back legs, it then is far more level. I don’t know if there is a way to adjust the back legs so they lift the back more if there is a way to adjust the lower arms to keep it more level. Any ideas?

Hi, could I be that the arms are not located correctly in the slots and also that arms fit snugly into the clamp. Ive never noticed mine slanting.

Chris

Same with mine. Never had any issues with the lower rack not being level when folded out.

Let’s do it! This is a good example of what can be done with this new controller! Anyone using and mastering this yet?

^^^^^^^^^
Not at those prices lol

True, Fred, it’s way out of my league price wise too but I think it has a future as an instrument …

I’d love to mess around with it. Although at my age I’m lucky to be able to get anything out of a perfectly normal keyboard and I don’t exploit the merest fraction of expression control that are already available to me. I keep thinking that what is needed is a massive pairing back of all the variables and instruments and amounts of stuff I’m working with and then to really wring the most out of what’s left. You know, like it used to be.

@dave_dore

And may I add…

and…

1 Like

OK.

I want one.

I will have one.

1 Like

Had a place to play around with it for about half an hour at my local drug dealer’s. Not 100% convinced I want to have it as part of my live setup.

• I like the bending ability - pretty intuitive, especially if - like me - you’re a guitar and violin player.
  • Poly aftertouch is also nice, but the feeling is a bit spongy and needs some getting used to.
  • the ability to change tone by sliding along the length of the “key” is hindered by the “rubbery” surface - I was tempted to wet my fingers to make it more slippery; wasn’t something that really invited experimenting very much
  • The “ribbon” zones at the front and the back will need more practice, but are a great idea
  • overall, the “ridge” design of the keys is somewhat familiar to a keyboardist, so you’ll know where to put your fingers, but it’s definitely not a 1:1 replacement of a traditional keyboard - difficult to play your favorite organ solo on this - kept “slipping into the trenches”.

So this beast wouldn’t be “universal” enough to replace one of my two main controller keyboards in my live setup - it’s pretty special and requires quite a bit of re-learning. If I was going for a “keyboard castle” setup in the style of Yes or Vangelis, I’d definitely put a Seaboard in there somewhere, but for my simple gigging setup, I’m trying to keep things lean, so no third keyboard that I would only use in a couple of solo parts.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

I am also a guitarist, and I perform with some great musicians, but it is just not the same as a real guitar. That said, I do know one guitarist in particular it would easily substitute. :rofl:
I need to grow another arm.

1 Like

On the other hand…guitarists are on their way to replace keyboardists…

:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Hi All,

I took the plunge and sold my Roland RD800 and upgraded to the RD 2000. Both are digital stage piano/controllers. The new model adds a V-Piano engine to existing SN (Super Natural) engine and 2 sound expansion slots in it’s memory. It also vastly improved the midi controller functions (which are Great for use in Cantabile). The last new thing it introduced is a new development in the keyboard world AFAIK. They have included full duplex USB Audio system with the sound-card actually included in the keyboard circuitry. Unfortunately this is only available for Windows 10 systems. The driver is loaded by Win 10 driver manager. (no special download from Roland). The keyboard also provides a second auxiliary stereo output for sending out 2 separate instrument mixes, for the internal sounds and the vst sounds. So if you have win 10 you don’t need a low latency interface. I ran tests here and so far no problems at 128 samples buffer. It stands up well against the RME Baby Face Pro on the resource usage in Cantabile. Also the digital audio from the 2 engines of the piano are available to Cantabile or any DAW as 2 digital input channels. I am still a bit stunned by all this but am beginning to figure how to use it live. This should be a fun transition but I’ll be keeping the RME close by in the event it goes sour. I’ll post when I get further in to it. :smile:

Best,

Dave

4 Likes