MIDI Controllers and Live Performance

You’re looking to use the pitch wheel on VB3?
VB3 doesn’t support the pitch bender - only to trigger a sample of the reverb spring in a Hammond when its rattled! :slight_smile:
If you’re trying to grab the tonewheel tuning in the Global Menu, that’s not available for midi control and, even if it were, it cuts off the sound while the instrument adjusts its tuning.

You have an answer in your individual thread - better than hijacking an unrelated thread :frowning:

Cheers,

Torsten

Wrote this elsewhere, but - VB3 is an ACCURATE clone , and as these organs had no such thing, well VB3 doesn’t either.

Why on earth would you want to pitch bend an organ anyway?This is the same as having velocity differences in notes.
If you wnat accurate organ, set your velocity to 127 and then use the swell pedal!

:smiley:

1 Like

@Ade

Love it Adrian! Actually it serves as a fairly accurate air raid siren being shut down. :grinning:

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/pobH2VQAVek

Organ solo around 1:40.

Also the end section of ‘Twilight Alehouse’…

This would all be better in the other thread though…

1 Like

The pitch bend in stagnation is accomplished by Banks turning on and off the Hammond.

Yes, I know. I have a T202 of my own and often use that trick!

Pat gets off a couple interesting bends on this solo in Crash And Burn around 3:50-

It doesn’t sound like a power off bend. The way he’s processing the organ it night not even be a real Hammond, but it sounds pretty good if it was a clonewheel like the Korg CX3. which would have been one of the few options in 1980.

No, they did not have a Pitch Bend hardware control. Making a posting like this is a bit silly!!

But - if it’s a clone - no reason to not be able to clone the motor run up or shut down.
Regardless, there is no provision on the VB3 to receive such information.
Definitely would be a good sales gimmick :blush:

1 Like

The old AM Music Technology VL-122 organ plugin has the motor run up/down feature. http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1490

3 Likes

I’ve got one in my storage unit! I used to use it with a Roland A-88. A good combination (if you’ve got a big car!)

1 Like

Dear helpfull you :kissing_heart:
I am using the Yamaha S90 XS as a dumb piano. I really like the piano mechanics so I will continue to carry around this heavy thing for a while.
The piano has just 4 slides and 4 rotating buttons that I can use for controlling my Cantabile Solo functions, and the annoying thing is that when I map the 4 rotating buttons to toggle on/off sounds in Cantabile, it very easy to rotate two steps instead of one, and the sound will turn off again when I wanted to turn it on, for example. It’s very frustrating and it’s very easy that it happens.

Is it possible to map the rotating buttons in another way to resolve this problem in some way?
Or do I have to buy a separate midi controller :thinking:

Hi Karl,

here is a binding method that creates less triggers when using a rotary control :

Adjust the high range on the target to desired amount, this example has 4 different outputs evenly divided between the 127 range . For a simple on/ off switch set it to 2 (everything below 64 is ‘0’ and everthing above 63 is ‘127’). Hope this helps.

Dave

1 Like

Thanks Dave, so you suggest to use the binding on CONTROL (slide) instead of STATE (green/red lamp) in cantabile right?
Because if I do binding on STATE I just have the toggle function on/off and I can’t open the Value mapping box that I can see in your picture. I can just open that box if I do binding on CONTROL (slide).

…I hope you understand me, it’s hard to explain.

But hopefully you have understand that the problem is to turn on and off states with a rotary control with endless steps instead of a button that have just one step. My piano have just slides and rotary controls…

If your piano has endless encoders: what MIDI messages do they send when you turn them right / left? Do they send “parameter increase/decrease” messages or do they send absolute controller messages?

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

I have to check on the display what is written when I turn the rotary knobs then. I don’t have the keyboard here where I am right now so I have to answer within two weeks :pensive: :pensive: :pensive:

I checked what the manual says, but I can just find the information that the keyboard have 4 midi assignable control knobs that change the parameter value continuously

Understood, but what is important is how these control knobs are assigned to MIDI. There are generally two options:

1. the controls are mapped to “increment”/“decrement” MIDI controllers, e.g. CC 96 to increment a value and CC 97 to decrement a value. This way, MIDI control gets around the problem of not knowing the actual state of the parameter controlled with an endless controller. In this case, your button will send one controller value when you turn right and another when you turn left.
  2. The controls are mapped to a “standard” cc like volume (CC 7) or expression (CC 11). In this case, your keyboard will “assume” an initial state of this controller (usually 0) and then add / subtract from that based on your rotating the knob. In this case the MIDI output will be a single controller value whenever you turn the knob, ranging from 0 to 127, depending where the value of the control stored in your keyboard currently is.

For case 1, I would create two “Controller (No Edge Button)” bindings, one from the “increment” controller to switch the repective rack/effect ON, the other from the “decrement” controller to switch the rack/effect OFF. Now, whenever you turn the knob right (no matter how far), the rack will turn on, when you turn it left, the rack will turn off.

For case 2, I would use a "Controller (Switch) binding to the “Running/Suspended” state of the respective rack - or bind it to the “enabled” parameter of the route to the rack, so the rack can stay active all the time - less chance of hiccups that way. But you’ll have to give the route a name (via Edit->Rename), otherwise it will not be available as a binding. Now whenever you turn the knob far enough to the right for the value to exceed 64, the rack or route will turn on, whenever you turn the knob far enough to the left to go below 64, the rack / route will turn off.

@dave_dore → using Controller (Switch) is the built-in way to implement your filter directly when binding to a binary value like Running/Suspended…

Cheers,

Torsten.

1 Like