Load song or state in long set list

Often I have set-list of up to 40 songs, which make them big to pre-load. However in many cases there are some places in the list I know there is plenty of time to load up to the next point. Would it be possible to have something like a song or state, let’s call it “LoadUpToHere” which only function is that the set list is loaded up to that state/song. It would give me some more freedom to use some large instruments.

My standard gigging setlist contains 142 songs, with a memory footprint of roughly 8 GB. It’s all about picking the right plugins / sounds and optimizing for live use.

Using large instruments live is only really practical if you have enough RAM to keep them in-memory, IMHO.

But overall, I’ve slimmed down my arsenal to a set of sounds that play nice live, even if that means not getting the sound 100% to where I’d want it to for a recording. But in a live context, nobody really gives a toss - and at live volume levels, leaner is often better. How many times have I heard the old M1 piano used live, because it just cuts through better…

1 Like

I know that I’m rowing against the stream, but not everybody is playing in a rock-band :upside_down_face:. The larger libraries exist and sound well, so it is nice to use them live also. It would be good to create the possibility to make the choice.

I too reduced my vst footprint a few years ago. I am in some blues bands, and rock bands. I’ve used Keyscape live, and some beautiful ambiance plugs in a few songs.
They are ok, but, playing live really doesn’t bring out those great sounds. I ditched my go to piano recently, because it wasn’t cutting through, and the sound was never what I needed to perform. I went to my Pianoteq Yamaha C5, and added slight compression and reverb. VOILA!!! Instant Elton John piano. It is much lighter than my “goto” and cuts through like a MoFo!
I love the larger libraries, but only in the studio, and solo/duo work. Unfortunately, the newer libraries are ridiculous. 40 to120 GB and beyond. My SSD is screaming NOOOOOO!

2 Likes

I playing mainly in musical orchestras, sometimes they make you change instrument every two bars, so that adds up. In particular playing with acoustic instrumentalists like violin, woodwiinds the background strings and other instruments shouldn’t be too synthy in my opinion. E.g. for strings i you Session Strings which is a quite demanding instrument. My piano is as well, I like it as in the end I am schooled as a classical pianist. Maybe I should check out the Pianoteq’s once as too many people are positive about that, but I do not see why we shouldn’t try to enhance the capabilities of Cantabile. I may attract even more people to this wonderful platform,
Joop

2 Likes

I’ve been called a few times to arrange a few “pop” songs for the local symphony. It’s still fun to do when I have time. I use Spitfire Symphony Orchestra to check the arrangement before I turn it in.
I was never a classical pianist, but played a lot of classical music in my time, on many different instruments.

I used Pianoteq at my gig this past weekend and it cut through nicely. I used their their new Bosendorfer with those bass notes. Are you using the built in compression on Pianoteq or a separate vst?

• Paul

I am a classically trained piano player as well and love Pianoteq. You can really fine tune the velocity curve to make any controller feel close to a real piano.

• Paul
1 Like

Hey PauI !

I didn’t use the Pianoteq compressor or reverb. I used a different vst. Just my preference so I could slightly apply it. Once I tried it, the lower keys rumbled, and middle keys came alive. Of course, if you are going for Elton John, you gotta pound the keys! “Take Me To The Pilot” was my 1st test on it.

My apologies to the OP. After all, I am the off topic king. :slightly_frowning_face: