Live mode buttons caption not updating

Hi Baz,

Sorry if this is something you’ve already tried but are any of your media players set to be the Master?

Also, what is the reason you’re using all those media players when you can set up a playlist in one?
If the audio ouput of each media player is going to the same output, that is…

P

I wouldn’t be too worried about the pre-loading footprint of media players - I have all my plugins in racks, but media players directly within the songs - and my pre-loaded setlist is pretty extensive. No memory issues from keeping the players at song level.

Ah ok. Correct - there are no variables for items in racks.

This is true - media players themselves use practically no resources - it’s only once the load a media file that they use anything and that only happens once they’re loaded to an active song/rack. Also, for completeness:

• MIDI Files are loaded into memory
  • Audio Files are partially loaded into memory and then streamed from disk as they play.

As my media players are in a rack I cannot set any of them to be the Master.

When I set up the media players to play backing tracks about 18 months ago, I thought this was the best way to do it.

Using separate media files has the advantage that I can play a song part in isolation when I’m constructing the midi files. I use Sekaiju to edit these files and it only allows one or all files to be played back. So I cannot test just two instrument tracks playing together e.g. in harmony.

If I use only one media file in a song as suggested by @Toaster then I may be able to show the current file being played back on the controller bar but I lose the advantage of testing the song parts during construction.
I believe in Racks.

So I think I’ll stay with what I’ve got for the moment and hope that @brad can eventually add media player variables to racks oor even just that one variable $(CurrentMediaFileTitle) that I suggested in my post.

Thanks for everyone’s input.
Baz

Ah ok. You could still do this with a single media player if you put each part on a separate channel. You can then configure the media player to send each channel to a different output MIDI port and then construct routes from the player to each synth for that part.

Granted that’d be a pain to change but perhaps something to experiment with next time.

@brad
Thanks for your suggestion. I don’t understand it but, as you say, it would be a pain to put in a lot of work for little reward. I originally thought that it would be trivial to do what I wanted.

Each media player is outputting up to 16 channels of MIDI instruments already, e.g. piano, organ, saxes, drums, percussion, etc. so I cannot understand how your suggestion impacts on this.

I don’t want to waste anymore of your time so I think I’ll forget about it for now.
Many thanks.
Baz