I’ve been using a macbook pro with mainstage since 2012 and it with usual upgrades (ram, ssd) it’s still holding on well but lately experience old-age mechanical problems (connectors etc).
So I’m looking for a PC laptop solution that would be first and foremost optimized for live keyboards with Cantabile.
Audio interface is RME Fireface UC (usb!), not planning on switching.
Most intensive plugins used are Ravenscroft, Omnisphere, u-he diva&repro, Acoustic Samples B5 and some others not so cpu-intensive. Needs to handle multiple layers and splits easily. No sequencing/backing tracks on stage, only live keyboards playing.
What I’m looking for:
- lightweight and portable but durable at the same time
- preferably 13-14", i7 (or maybe i5 would be enough?), 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
- reliable hardware and drivers
- works fine in winter (sub 0°C) and summer (35°C) outside
- good thermal design to avoid cpu throttling that would affect plugins
- low audio latency
Based on my research I’m leaning towards Dell XPS 13" but not decided/convinced yet. Price range of xps would be about right. Would fancy a bit lower price but definitely not higher.
Has anyone done a recent research / tests and would share some experience?
Thanks and best regards,