Laptop and Tablet Conversation

Hi All,

I wanted to start this thread off by saying WoW… what a great group of folks that have been checking in over here at the Community Forum! Now to the topic, I customized an HP Pro-book laptop top about 4 years ago. It it currently has A 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD for System and some sounds plus I removed the DVD Recorder and replaced it with a custom caddie from New Mode US that holds A 128 GB Crucial SSD for Ivory Piano Samples and UVI Ravenscroft Piano Samples. It has an i5 running at 2.6 GHz and 8 GB of ram (I added 4 GB). I have optimized it ( As far as I know how to ) and am generally pleased with it. I have been using C3 on my desktop more while it’s been developing but have run it successfully on the laptop at a number of gigs and it worked well but I found that some songs really put it to the test so I began checking what was around and was wondering what exactly you chose to do your live work in the way of a laptop or tablet? I have been really interested in this notebook offering from ASUS Zenbook but I don’t know how tough it is. Any other thoughts would be welcome …

Dave

Hi, sounds like a cool setup, similar to mine. I use a Thinkpad (W520), and I chose it because it was one of the last laptops to have an integrated FW port for my interface, also for its durability. I dropped it once (my GF actually), and it didn’t change a thing, works fine. They use it in the military, on the space station, etc…

For me, I think the top priority for live concerts is being as conservative and safe as possible. Leave the crazy, risky stuff for the (project) studio. I have different OS’s for different uses too, and I highly recommend it. I have one called “Office” to do most of the normal stuff, one called “Live Rig” and one guinea pig to test stuff etc…

1 Like