Issues with M audio fast track pro, win 8.1

Ok so I’m having issues with audio interface Maudio fast track pro and win 8.1.
The problem is most of the time when I boot up the system, the midi in to interface shows it’s receiving midi but canabile 3 performer doesn’t indicate any midi data. It’s not consistent. I’ve rebooted and restarted cantabile probably 20 time this weekend, and 3 times it actually worked.
This is a older version Maudio fast track and Its no longer supported so no more driver updates. Is anyone else having problems with Maudio hardware. I order a new audio interface to try. Or would it be more stable running it under win7?
So far I’ve only managed to get the midi in to function a hand full of times.
Not only that but sometimes cantabile has problems starting the audio engine.

I have a M-Audio Axiom 25. After I plug it in via USB, it cuts out after exactly 8 notes, and then resumes after another 8. To get it working, I play 8 random notes, then 8 more random notes of silence, then I can play for as long as I want without any problems. It does this with every DAW I have, including Cantabile, Sonar, and Sibelius. It’s not a big deal for me though, as it does the same exact behavior every single time.

• Paul

Hi,

Not sure if it is related or not, but after upgrading my studio last year (including new PC), I had horrendous trouble with my MOTU MIDI Express 128. I was getting all sorts of dropped or hanging notes that I never had before.

Turned out I had the MOTU plugged into a USB 3 port on the new computer (old one was USB 2 only). I plugged it into a USB 2 port and normal service was resumed.

Whilst USB 3 is meant to be backwards compatible some units do not like it; I had the same issue with my Focusrite Saffire 6 in my live rig, which if it was in a USB 3 port it stopped the Cantabile 2 process from shutting down! Again, when plugged into a USB 2 port all was fine. I even had to put labels on my laptop to remind me not to plug it into the wrong port.

So, it might be worth checking what type of port you are plugged in.

The other issue you might have and is worth checking, especially with laptops, is power draw on the USB port by bus powered devices causing problems. I recently upgraded the Focusrite Saffire 6 to a Scarlett 6 and had the device constantly connecting and disconnecting in device manager about once a second. Turns out this later model draws more current than the laptop could supply for phantom powering the mic inputs (even if phantom power is switched off). I purchased a small powered hub to put between the laptop and the interface and all is now fine.

I use a AxiomPro61 on my top tier and never had issues with it.
Yes i have the Maudio interface running through a usb3 hub along with the pro61 into a usb3 port on the laptop.
I had tried running direct to the laptop but it was in the usb3 port so i never did try a usb2 port.
I already replaced interface and now midi in is working consistently. it also cleared up a host of other issues causing crashes and hang ups. i just opted for a Behringer 404HD and so far its behaving nicely.
although i have another minor issue that Ill address in another thread since its not related to the original problem.