Is there a way to force incoming MIDI notes to output as MIDI notes in a chosen key? (Solved)

Is there a way to force incoming MIDI notes to output as MIDI in a chosen key, such as C#minor?

I have tried a few MIDI processing VST plugins, but haven’t found a way to get their MIDI outputs to work in Cantabile.

TIA for any suggestions.

You may wonder why I am asking. I have one song in my band’s set where I have to play a brass part in my left hand that has intervals wider than I can reach. On my Kronos I used a custom scale and transposed the individual instruments and the custom scale brought the parallel intervals back into the correct harmony and I could simply play the chordal part triggered from one voice. I am trying to move this show into Cantabile, but can’t figure out how to do a similar thing short of sampling the chord voicing and creating a custom instrument in Kontakt, which may be what I need to do if there are no other suggestions.

Hi Stark and Welcome!

There are a few ways to do this but the easiest way would probably be with the use of this VST MIDI note mapper from CodeFN42

This will do the job quite well I think. You just route your controller MIDI through it on the way to the VSTi you are using to generate tones. Hope it’s what you needed. :slight_smile:

Dave

3 Likes

Perfect! I hadn’t heard of that one before. I will give it a try.

Finished the programming last night and that MIDI mapper did the trick. Thank you!

2 Likes