I have a particular use case for performing improvised stuff, live with sample loops. I have zero experience with DAWs or solutions for live sample looping - only with classic DAWs like Cubase and Reaper (no FL studio and such). (OK I do use e.g. drum samples in Reaper - but no way I can use reaper for live performance). Perhaps my question is trivial - I simply have no idea.
Here’s my use case:
- I have bits and pieces of a performance recorded by chord (full arrangements, but excluding time-related effects like master reverb and delay)
- for (silly) sake of argument: say a 4 chord verse (C Dm Em F) and a 4 chord chorus (G G7 Am Am7)
- so I have 8 samples, each 1 measure long (C, Dm, Em, F, G,G7, Am Am7) and all loopable
- I have several different arrangements of each verse and chorus. So I have e.g. 4 versions of the C chord sample, 4 of the Dm chord sample etc.
- I will want to trigger those samples using a key or a drum pad on a keyboard. I want them to loop (latch) until I pick a different sample.
- AND I want to be able to quantize the transition from one sample to another by measure, beat, 1/8 note or whatever. So that no matter what I do, the whole performance stays in tempo
- Bonus points if I can kick off multiple samples at the same time (say a drum loop and a bass loop, that go together) (and quantized the same way of course)
- And I do not know in which order I am going to play the chords. I may decide on the fly to change the chord progression (be it limited to the chords for which I have samples) And I certainly have no idea how many verses and choruses (chorii?) I will kick off, let alone in what order. Or in which arrangement.
- I want to set all that up in a VST that I load in Cantabile.
- I don’t care how this is controlled (I have drum pads but am also happy to kick all of this off with dedicated keys on my keyboard) I’m thinking Midi learn, Cantabile filters and bindings will allow for just about anything.
Does a plugin that let me do that exist? If not a plugin, is there performance software that lets me do this? Any ideas? I think Geist2 would do (have done) most of that. I used to play with it but it was horribly buggy (and way too complex for my needs) and although they stil lsell it it seems development stopped 4 years ago… I’m guessing NI Maschine does similar things - but you need the Maschine hardware along with it (right?)
Thoughts? Any reaction would be welcome!