Is anyone using bindings to create level meters for show notes?

@dave_dore I’ve now added some controller meters like these to my Show Notes song template and to a few existing songs I have, and it works great! Really nice clear view, I love it! Very ingenious work Dave!!!

1 Like

Hehe, couldn’t resist: I’ve serialized @dave_dore’s original formula for the linear meters. Reduces a bit of the complexity of chained ternary operators, so it might make things a bit easier to digest for Cantabile.

$(cc(7,16)>0?"🟦" : " ")$(cc(7,16)>10?"🟦" : "")$(cc(7,16)>20?"🟩" : "")$(cc(7,16)>30?"🟩" : "")$(cc(7,16)>40?"🟩" : "")$(cc(7,16)>50?"🟨" : "")$(cc(7,16)>60?"🟨" : "")$(cc(7,16)>70?"🟨" : "")$(cc(7,16)>80?"🟧" : "")$(cc(7,16)>90?"🟧" : "")$(cc(7,16)>100?"🟧" : "")$(cc(7,16)>110?"πŸŸ₯" : "")$(cc(7,16)>120?"πŸŸ₯" : "")

Not sure if that helps with the WebUI issues? If they’re mainly UI-update-driven, then this shouldn’t be much different, so I wouldn’t bet on it…

3 Likes

I did some experiments with different types of tempo indicators

top to bottom are the scripts used

circled numbers

``
$(cc(40,16) == 1 ? β€œβ‘ β€ : cc(40,16) == 2 ? " β‘‘" : cc(40,16) == 3 ? " β‘’" : cc(40,16) == 4 ? " β‘£" :β€œβ€)

``

colored dots
``
$(cc(40,16) == 1 ? β€œ:red_circle:” : cc(40,16) == 2 ? " :green_circle:" : cc(40,16) == 3 ? " :green_circle:" : cc(40,16) == 4 ? " :green_circle:" :β€œβ€)

in place serial numbers
$(cc(40,16))

``

all are fed by the same binding. You can create different value settings for higher numbers of beats here if you expand on the ternary statements. All examples are 4/4.

all examples are set to full font size = 100.

Dave

2 Likes

Nice method @Torsten, I learn something every time you post. :grinning:

Dave

2 Likes

How high a BPM can be successfully displayed via WebUI? My experience has been missed beats on the WebUI >=130 BPM. Mains screen is always good, but WebUI misses beats.

Not sure, I was testing natively. Will look.

It starts to miss redraws on the Cantabile Web UI between 240 and 250 bpm. My drummer likes to take a glance at my laptop to get a visual tempo guide so I was looking at a way to make a big display type for show notes. Show Notes Native runs up to 300 BPM

Mine skips at 130 BPM, but I’m blinking a dot in time using a Midi file every 8th note with cc54 on channel 16. If cc=1, show the dot. if cc<>1, overwrite with a blank.

$(((cc(54,16))==1)?"β€’":" ")

I believe we may have the same results as my code is sending a redraw at 2x BPM (8th notes) which would be around 260 BPM. Thanks for the answer.

1 Like

Hi All,

I came up with this other method using the β€˜strpart’ function. It allows simple editing of the CC source for the whole expression and I changed the number of indicators to split into multiples of 12. That makes the first yellow indicator 0 db exactly. Way less edits if you make multiple bars lol.

$(strpart(" ;🟒;🟒🟒;🟒🟒🟒;🟒🟒🟒🟒;🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒;🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒;🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒;🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟑;🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟒🟑🟑;πŸŸ’πŸŸ’πŸŸ’πŸŸ’πŸŸ’πŸŸ’πŸŸ’πŸŸ‘πŸŸ‘πŸ”΄", cc(7,2) / 12))

Dave

3 Likes

Finally found some time to have some fun with this.
I’ve discovered the clock symbols are quite handy!