iPad (or iOS) integration in Cantabile

Hi guys. Anyone tried to integrate an iPad or iPhone into his setup? Is it possible to connect an iPad 2 via USB and to be able to send audio (ex: GeoShred) and MIDI (ex: Lemur, TouchOSC) into Cantabile? Do we still need apps like Studiomux, Midimux or AudioBus?

I donā€™t think you can just hook up your iPad with a USB/Lightning cable if thatā€™s what you mean. Perhaps with a iConnect box?

Hi! Iā€™m using Lemur (MIDI only) with C3.
I use Midimux to send/receive MIDI via USB and it works very well. Sometimes I have problems with OSC and MIDI (obviously not with Cantabile) but Iā€™m still investigating the issue. I havenā€™t tried to send audio, but I guess it should work.
We need Midimux for the MIDI over USB connection between the iOs device and your computer. Iā€™m not aware of any Windows VST host or DAW that takes care of it.

1 Like

Interesting, do you just use a regular Lightning/USB cable with that? No midi interface? Do you need an app on the iPad as well or just the ā€œmidimuxā€ thing on PC?

@sanderxpander
as i have an iPad 2 I use its 30-pin to USB connector. And yes, no MIDI interface, no wireless. I investigated the various options regarding tablets (Android and Apple), connections (wireless, USB tethering, etc.) and software (TouchOSC and Lemur) and eventually found Lemur on iOs and Midimux the best solution for my needs.

Midimux is actually two separate programs: one installed on the iOs device and the other (the server) on the computer. From the server one selects which MIDI physical or virtual port one wants to use to send / receive messages. The app on the iOs takes care of the communication between the selected MIDI port and the iOs controller (Lemur, TouchOSC, etc.).
An alternative to Midimux/Studiomux (I havenā€™t tested it, and doesnā€™t have OSC) is called MusicIO.

Iā€™m already setting it up! This might be the solution I was looking for. While Iā€™d rather have an ā€œall in oneā€ computer set up, I already have soooo much stuff tied up in my iPad with regards to sheets etc., it would be a lot of work trying to migrate everything to PC, and right now Cantabile itself doesnā€™t give me all the sheet reading options Iā€™d be missing. So using it just as a sound module seems feasible.

Iā€™m trying to set it up for program changes. In my iPad I just set MSB and LSB to 0 and use program change numbers corresponding to the song/program number in my set list in Cantabile. I tried creating a global binding but Cantabile when I try to midi learn Cantabile interprets the program change as controller 0, and always selects the same song (number 1) no matter which midi preset I send from set list maker. I then tried manually changing the source to ā€œprogram changeā€ and the destination to ā€œload song by program (instant)ā€. Nothing happens. May I ask what you did to set this up? Perhaps I should start yet another threadā€¦

Hard to say, as I should know more details. Unfortunately Iā€™m finishing this setup for an upcoming performance, so I wonā€™t have time to help you until the end of next week. I can only explain how my system works. In any case, when you create a binding in Cantabile you will see what Cantabile is actually receiving. I suspect you are either sending the same Program Change value, or you havenā€™t chosen the right state binding option in Cantabile.

I have a ā€˜menuā€™ object in Lemur that sends program change values from 1 to 4 to Cantabile (see first picture in the upper-left corner). In Lemur I also added a little script that switches the tabs according to the selected menu item.

On the Cantabile side I simply created 4 bindings that load a specific song state when the program change value is received (see second picture). However, in Cantabile (if Iā€™m not wrong) you can assign the Load State binding to any incoming MIDI message, not only program changes.

Thanks, that Lemur setup looks cool!

I just found something out - controller 0 is bank select MSB. Itā€™s like Cantabile will only receive the first portion of a PC and cuts off after receiving the MSB. Iā€™m not sure where the fault lies - I use this same system with my Kronos without any issues, but there I donā€™t have Midimux obviously.

Interestingly, I can use the MSB (controller 0) to still select patches. I just donā€™t understand why it wonā€™t grasp a full program change (doesnā€™t matter if I switch to ''banked").

EDIT: Solved it! As long as I tell my set list maker app to leave MSB and LSB empty it will work! No idea why that confused Cantabile but I can use regular PCs as long as I donā€™t send MSB/LSB.

Great!
Have you tried the Program Change (Banked) option in Cantabile (in the Event column)? In the value field you can add a value in the form bankMSB.bankLSB.programNumber. Havenā€™t tried myself, just a suggestion.

Hi. Are there any later threads on this topic? Iā€™m wanting to take Midi from my PC from Cantabile Performer to an iPad Pro. Most of the software on this thread is no longer available. Iā€™ve got MidiBerry on the PC but it is only for incoming bluetooth. Any suggestions without spending on hardware would be welcome.

I built a MIDI Designer Pro Layout that controls Cantabile (and my own mixer Rack). But TBH using a Stream Deck is now so much easier.

Connecting an iPad to a PC for MIDI is not as simple as it should be, but you have a few choices, including WiFi, Bluetooth (maybe using CME WIDI devices), or a pair of USB/MIDI cables and some back-to-back DIN connectors for a wired solution.

Thanks. I have TouchOSC which is similar. Iā€™m not wanting to use the iPad as a controller but rather to take notes from the PC to play on the iPad. I have a lot of instruments which I could use. The WIDI devices look promising but at a price. The back to back adaptors may be a little slow. What would be nice is a back to back USB. With bluetooth I would need the other half of MIDIBerry since it only allows incoming signals not outgoing. Cheers.

Hi @anointed!

if I have understood your needs correctly, you want to send MIDI information from Cantabile (running on a PC) to the iPad (running some virtual instrument). Have you considered some ā€œmidi over networkā€ solution? I am thinking about something like this:

Maybe one could be worried about the reliability of such a system in a live situationā€¦I have no experience on that. I have used rtpMIDI at home to connect my Windows10 PC to a laptop running Linux and a sequencer software with no problems.

Gabriel

I see - you want communication of playable data from PC to iPad.

Thereā€™s no delay with back to back USB/MIDI adapters, but it is a bit of a kludge. But Iā€™d have to say, if I was doing it this is the way I would choose.