Input from In Ear Monitor users

Funny you should say that - I got the same, although I seem to remember it was a bit more sarcastic in my case! :slight_smile:

Neil

Hey Dave, I have a pair of the 215e and had a similar fit issue. If interchanging canal inserts doesn’t remedy the leaking you might have to try another type of IEM(possibly more expensive). The pricier brands offer custom molded gel inserts but the total cost could be close to $1000.00. I did some research on some of the different brands and found out that Fender makes a brand that fits further in your ear canal and has a great frequency range . Their top of the line are $500.00 and have a frequency range of 23khz- 6hz… Havnt found any brand with that range but the Fender FAX7 are phenomenal !! I just have to be careful if I use them with my iPhone for music because I can’t hear anything other than the music. American musical has the whole line and they have a payment plan…

I’m using the bargain basement Fenders, the $50 ones and I even like them. Of course they don’t fit that deeply but for off the shelf they do me quite nicely.

Kinda like buying condoms, eh?

I don’t know, can you get custom fitter condoms?? :smiley:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: You just had to ask…

1 Like

I use a Sennheiser IEM300 wireless system with a pair of 10 quid Sennheiser ear buds that I scored at Trago Mill (when I went nearby to see Rick Wakeman playing in Carnglaze Cavern!). These cheap buds do a better job than the supplied ones, and they fit me better - I always have problems with buds falling out at the slightest touch.

I’d love to know what a pair of 1100 quid earpieces would do for me that my tenner buds don’t, but I don’t feel like shelling out that kind of money to find out…

These are some of my favorite headphones I have ever owned- got them for $10. But they look goofy and could never go remotely loud enough to use live.

Been thinking about moving to IEM’s. This thread is goldmine of useful advice.

I bought Etymotic ER-15s with custom molds years ago when I played in a loud rock band. I “out grew” my first custom molds - over 10 years they became loose so that is something to be aware of. They take a little getting used to like IEM’s but I never head to a live music venue without them.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html

Hi All,

I have fully gone to wireless mono XVive in ear systems. I used the Shure 215 for a few years but recently got a gift from a friend of the T9 in ears from XVive. Huge improvement in the experience. Full range is rich and balanced with tons and I mean tons of gain. The design uses high end dual balanced armature makeup and it gives it much better low end coverage. The 215s have a bump at about 4k that helps vocals come out but at the expense of reduced low end and a brighter than normal response curve. The isolation is better too, they fit in the ears better than the 215s and don’t change when I sing (I loose bass when I sing because the plugs don’t stay seated). So, for under 200 bucks they are the best improvement I made to the rig this year. I’d could mix with them they are so flat in response.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/T9--xvive-t9-in-ear-monitors

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

Hi Dave, thanks for the info. Just curious, are you using them with the XVive transmitter and receiver, or another system? I’ve also been using the Shure 215 for a few years but I always had to EQ my mix to to account for the brighter response. Last summer I sprung for the Sennheiser XSW system, which I like a lot, but I’m still using the 215’s. So I may give these XVive’s a try.
Tom

Just a little question, are you twisting the the devices into your ear canal, and sealing out any outside noise?

Hi Tom,

I’m using the Xvive transmitter/reciever package. They will be as I said flatter but balanced so I think they are a good buy at $ 160.00. (they are on sale right now). For me it was a big difference in the low end and isolation. Better in every way for me.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Corky,

On both pair I do it as prescribed but the 215s still loosen when I open my jaw up and they leak. When I close the jaw they seal again. It’s like they aren’t getting in deep enough but they are all the way in. Any way that’s been my experience. I can wear the T9 for hours comfortably whereas I am good for about an hour with the 215s before I want them out of my ears. If you know any other tips on the 215 that would make them work better please post, I think I tried everything but you never know. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Dave

Do the inears have over ear support hooks? You can also get larger tips…mine came with different tips, and I have a larger one in my right ear. It does take awhile for your ears to get used to it.

Maybe super glue? :rofl:

1 Like

That is built in to the 215s so yes.

I tried the largest tips but still had the problems. Did you find bigger than stock offerings elsewhere?

Soon enough I might need permanent help like that but not yet . :rofl:

You could order the triple flange sleeves which go deeper into the ear:

"The triple-flange sleeve extends farther into the ear canal than any of the other sleeves, and contacts the ear canal at more than one point. This provides increased holding power for most people, which can be desirable if you wear your earphones during physical activity.

If the additional depth of the triple-flange sleeve is uncomfortable, the smallest flange can be cut off with a pair of scissors or a utility knife , resulting in a double-flange sleeve that is approximately the same depth as the standard flex sleeves. You can also cut the nozzle end down slightly if you find the earphone sticking too far out of your ear. Triple flange sleeves can be purchased from Shure Parts as part #EATFL1-6."

I have replaced the standard tips on most of my earplugs with INAIRS - alternatively Complys also work well. The memory foam gives great isolation, but takes a bit of getting used to.

I’ve tried most of the not-so-super-expensive in-ear options - my current go-to arsenal are the Xvive T9s, Sennheiser IE 400 and the InEar StageDiver 2 - all pretty good options; not sure if I have a real favorite…

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Thanks Dave I’ll give them a try. I’ve been using the 215s with Comply Large memory foam. I had to trim the length a little but the sealing and isolation was pretty good. Have you tried DIYing a custom mold, like the Earjobs or similar? I had a bandmate who tried every tip imaginable, but the custom mold did the trick. I think there’s one DIY mold product that’s flesh colored.

1 Like

I use New Bee foam tips which are on Amazon. They only come in packs of 2 Small - 2 Medium - 2 Large. I use the medium so have piles of the other sizes. The foam tips have good isolation and are comfortable but agree they take some getting used to.

I have an audiologist who created ear molds for my Etymotics ER-15 reducers I wear when playing bass with bands. I prefer the New Bees for in ear monitoring.

1 Like