Initial rack state on song load isn't loaded

Hi Cantabiletadores,
first of all: Merry Christmas to all of you!
The issue:
in my new C3-setup I must have forgotten something fundamental … everything with my racks works fine while changing rack states manually in a song but nothing changes automatically by loading a new song. The rack state doesn’t change to the initial rack state of the new song :frowning: - what goes wrong?

Not sure if I understand your issue correctly, but I’ll give it a try. I had a hefty learning curve when changing from C2 to C3, and initially had the same problem. I dont’ know how familiar you are with C3, but you mentioned your “new” C3 setup, so I’m guessing you’re in the early phases, and hopefully this isn’t too simplistic of an answer.

You mention rack states staying the same when you open a new song. But in C-3 there are rack states and there are song states. They’re completely separate. I wont’ go into detail, and there are tutorials that cover this, but here’s a process which other folks showed me, and it fixed my issue.
Before you start building songs, build some rack states, it’s much easier. For purposes of this test we’ll just do a few, but in practice I usually start by creating most or all of the Rack states I think I want for a chosen instrument. Later you can certainly add new Rack states as you need new instruments or plugins or tones or whatever, but by starting this way you can build songs much faster.

So open a new song, create a LINKED rack, load your plugin instrument, get a setting you like, and save that rack state. Lock it. Repeat, with new settings or a new patch/instrument. And repeat again to make a 3rd rack state. Make sure each is locked (that may be the fundamental thing you mentioned). Now save the rack (File/Save Rack As). So now those Rack states are saved and locked, so you can’t change them unless you unlock them. And you can now add them quickly in any songs you want.

Now create a song state, and select the first Rack state you created. Lock the Song state. Then create another song state, selecting the 2nd rack state, and lock it. Now let’s save Song 1…Select Save All from the Menu (or CTRL + SHIFT + S). So now everything is locked and saved for Song 1.

You have two choices now for your 2nd Song… you can simply use your first song as a template, and save as a different song, or you can start over fresh and repeat the above steps. I think most prefer using templates since it’s much faster, and your routing etc. is already set for that Rack. So using the template method, open Song 1, save as a different name. Delete the existing SONG states (not the rack states), and create a new Song state using your 3rd Rack state. Lock it, Save All.

So now it should work…when you load Song 1 you should have 2 Song states, with Rack State 1 and Rack State 2 respectively. Then load song 2 and you should see rack state 3.

If that’s still not working try this: before saving a rack state or song state, don’t lock it. Save it, lock it, then save it again. I’ve gotten into that habit because once in a while a save didn’t seem to truly save.

Hope that isn’t too basic of an answer. Let us know how you make out.

Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom,
thank you very much for your kind answer. It’s my fault being not able to express exactly what my problem is …
I try it once more: The rack states which show up at the beginning after having chosen a song are the right ones but the program in my MOXF isn’t the right sound. The MOXF-sound isn’t changed on SongLoad. Once I change the rack state manually the right sounds always are heard. The same happens using SongStates. I#m a little baffled …

Hmmm… if you’ve confirmed that it’s locking and saving properly, I’m baffled too. I once had a song that had a similar problem, no matter what I did the rack state was correct but the sound was wrong. Thought it was the rack state but that same state was good on other songs…I just started fresh with a new song file and that fixed it. I think somehow that song file got corrupted or otherwise changed. But your issue sounds more global. Maybe someone else will chime in. Best,
Tom

1 Like

Thanks Tom! I’ll rebuild the song from the ground up and stepwise … maybe it will help.