Ideas On Outdoor Gigs With Laptop

Would love to hear any solutions anyone has to reduce glare on laptop screen. Outdoor stages that are completely covered (except front) usually give me no problem, but occasionally, I play some smaller festivals where only the top of the stage is covered. I played one of those yesterday, and had difficulty seeing the screen. I tried different screen “skins” to no prevail. I thought about cutting a box to put over laptop with screen exposed, but 93 degrees with 80% humidity would have fried it.
Any solutions or ideas are welcome.

3 Likes

Hey Corky,

I had an unfortunate experience like this recently and the stage tech came up with an umbrella gaff taped to a mic stand that I could move and tilt to where I needed and I adjusted it a couple times during the course of events not great but it did help me see the screen better. I was thinking maybe an adapter for a keyboard stand that would hold a small sun shade like this might be an option. Especially if it can be tilted and rotated to track the suns movement over the time spent playing. On the down side it would look awful. The pictures I saw of it my rig that day were terrible but since I am back row support I don’t get the scrutiny the lead singers do. Hopefully the people were concentrating on them … :grin:

Option two you get full wizard-hood (Fred might know a guy who knows a guy …) and control the clouds … :mage::sun_behind_small_cloud::partly_sunny::cloud::cloud::cloud: not to mention many other elements of the known universe that affect performances too.

PS thanks for the happy pic!

Dave

2 Likes

Good idea for spur of the moment !

The sun was murder yesterday. The elements brewed up a horrible storm right as I loaded my last piece after the gig. Whew!

I would bet @Fred would know a wizard or 2. :wink:

The happy pic was because the drummer knew the beer stand guy, and they kept bringing us a free beer about every 10 minutes. A real shame though, I needed water more, but hated to refuse a cold beer on a scorching day. Thus…the happy pic.

2 Likes

I did buy the most powerful laptop cooler I could find. Texas heat is killer. I played a wedding one time, nearly 100 degrees. My laptop overheated in the middle of “Trumpet Voluntary”. It sounded like Jimmy Hendrix playing the trumpet, but not in a good way. So embarrassing.

1 Like

Google Glass. (If they still make 'em!) Or something similar. I hear there were a few knockoffs.

Terry

1 Like

Hey Corky, I’ve been using this instead of using a small 16inch screen with my pc. If you dont need to “stare” at the screen this might work for you…

.https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-006011-Wearable-Display/dp/B01MZ89QXF

3 Likes

That is really cool Ed. Never thought of that! Thanks!

Hi Terry

Apparently Google Glasses shut down in 2015 (no wonder - $1500). Many that I’ve looked at(no pun) are now calling them Smart Glasses. What I need is a Smart Corky, but that never got past the development stage and shut down many ages ago. :grin:

2 Likes

Ive been using it with my rig for 2 years and works pretty well. I mainly need it to log in and click on program short cuts on my desktop. I have multiple configs of Cantabile depending on what controller, audio interface, etc i will be using. That way it simplifies my need for a screen, and can get right on with the show. It runs about $200 USD through Amazon. I also have a Raspberry Pie 7 inch screen which i will try out that was about $70usd. Good luck…

Ed

I am still checking them out, and am seriously thinking about making the investment. I have anisometropia, and am borderline Glaucoma and a Cataract on my right eye. It is making things even more difficult to see my screen. This would really suit me well if it worked with my symptoms.

Many Thanks !

One thing I’ve learned from outdoor gigs: screen colors make a difference. I’ve set my LivePromter to a white background theme - couldn’t read my lyrics with the black background

For my Cantabile laptop, I got one of these laptop tent thingies to avoid it overheating from direct sun exposure. But we still had issues with our mixing iPads shutting down due to heat during our last gig at around 37 C in the shade. Funny - I thought Apple stuff was designed in California?

2 Likes

It is always hotter here than in California, especially with the relative humidity of the summer. 90 degrees F with 70% humidity feels like 106 degrees F. This time of year it shoots up to 100 degrees F with the humidity is killer. It is miserable, then the monsoon weeks move in, with afternoon thunderstorms, and lightening plus heavy rain and cools it off for about 10 minutes, then the sun comes out with even worse heat. I found myself playing keyboard grace notes I didn’t intend, and hanging on guitar chords longer than normal, just from the stickiness. I washed my hands several times during the gig. I am just surprised the electronics didn’t fail. I tried the light skin, but with different color notes, it was just as bad.

1 Like

What @Ed88fingers was showing us is exactly what I meant by a “knock-off” of Google Glass.

Seems potentially viable!

Terry

1 Like

I think so too Terry. Gonna do some research before I pull the trigger, but Ed has convinced me to go with it.

Gotcha! Question, do you need to use your screen for more than logging in and opening a few programs?

All I need it for is to display the screen. Once I am in C3, I will have song maps and lyrics in the show notes I use. So, just the normal C3 view. All switching is done with pedals or keys.

Hey Corky,

Got it. The view can be adjusted on the wearable display, but try these…might be better suited for you…

.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=10+inch+hdmi+monitor&crid=27XXYMKOLXZPR&sprefix=10inch+hdmi%2Caps%2C122&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_11

Thanks for the info Ed. I’ve been toying with the idea of an external monitor for sometime. This looks good, but I saw this in the specs:

• Operating Temperature: -20 degree to 65 degree

Maybe not good for a hot summer outside gig?

Anything in direct sunlight during the hotest part of the day (12-5pm) will have problem. I think those temp specs are in Celsius. I just checked one of the 10inch monitors and its working environment is -30- +50. celsius. YOu should definitely be fine…Check the 10 inch Elecrow hdmi monitor on the Amazon page i sent you…

Yes…the Elecrow has a lot more going for glare reduction. Good info. I owe you one :beer:

1 Like