How to use "Pitched Velocity Ramp" Midi filter

Hi,

I use the “Pitched Velocity Ramp” Midi filter to correct some notes from my keyboard that are too loud.
(Ivory Amercan Grand from Synthogy as VST Piano).

I got quite a good result by find settings via try&error, but I don’t understand what the values
“Adjust velocity by:” and “To:” really mean.

And how does the “Learn mode” work?

In the manual I didn’t find what I’m looking for.Has someone used this filter and can help?

Cheers Uli

What this filter does is

• create a linear ramp of percentage values across the range of notes that you set in “Key Range” - a value of 100 means “100%”.
  • You set the percentage multiplier for the bottom end with the left “Adjust velocity by” field, the value for the upper end of the range with the right field in the “Adjust velocity” row (to:).
  • the velocity of a note coming in within the defined range will be multiplied with the specific percentage value for that note
  • for notes outside the range, you can use the “below” and “above” tick boxes. This means that any note below the key range will be multiplied with the left percentage if “below” is ticked, and any note above the key range will be multiplied with the right percentage if “above” is ticked

In your example, you are multiplying the velocity of B4 with 97%. Velocities for C4 to F#5 will be multiplied with increasing values from 97% to 100%, so F#5 velocity will remain unchanged (100%). Since you haven’t ticked “below” or “above”, all other notes will be unaffected, so A#4 and below will still output 100% velocity. So you have created a bit of a “sawtooth dip” in velocity.

Does this help?

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

Here’s a sketch to illustrate:

4 Likes

Hi Torsten,

wow, thanks a lot for the detailed explication. Completely understood now. And yes: it helped a lot! :+1:

Do you also know how the mentioned “Learn Mode” works?

Cheers Uli

The sketch is a great addition to your previous post. :grinning:

The “Learn Mode” allows you to enter values in filters using a MIDI keyboard. Once you’ve checked it, you can enter the lower and upper limit of the key range by hitting a key on your MIDI keyboard while the cursor is in this field. See this guide: MIDI Route Settings - Cantabile - Software for Performing Musicians

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thanks and sorry for overlooking that in the manual.

Cheers Uli