How to add eq to the output?

I think Thorsten had done this, but i cannot find that topic at this moment.
I tried to add it to the background rack, input to the stereo output with eq plugin, but doesn’t work for me.
Any ideas?

Hey there,
You can’t route audio into background rack.
Your best bet is to create a rack and route whatever you want to it.

1 Like

Thx Ade,
Hm indeed, I can have an input audio port and put EQ on it, but not for the output indeed.
So are you suggesting to add a rack to the background rack? What’s the difference?
@Torsten, you had several mastering to you setup as I recall? (can’t find that post now)

You can route the audio card input - so you can apply processing to anything being input to your interface (unless you use trick inter-app software).
You can’t route any regular rack or plugin into the background rack.

You can’t route the Background Rack audio output back into any other Cantabile object.

To process audio in the way you’re suggesting you need to create a regular rack or plug in, and route your desired racks/plugins to that rack.

I guess the concept behind the background rack is to allow the following:

1. To provide bindings which are always present in all songs.
  2. To provide a set of default racks and plugins which are always ready to play, as a self contained unit (the “Background Rack”) when you load any Cantabile song.

What it doesn’t do is provide a set of plugins through which you can process other racks and plugins which live outside the Background Rack.

1 Like

Interface inputs, yes.
AFAIK you can’t route route racks and plugins.

1 Like

Here it is: Rack volumes persisting through songs? - #9 by Torsten

and Rack volumes persisting through songs? - #31 by Torsten

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thx for the extensive help guys!
So I need to do it at song level as I see.
As I understand I can create an eq rack and use that as final output for every song.
An overall mastering rack should be helpful indeed.

This because I find some plugins lacking that extra pump, Synth1 in my case.
It’s a big difference with avenger now I can tell.
I have had that comment from engineers before and find it also in the rehearsal studio that I don’t get that big sound.
In reaper I solve it mainly with +6db in the lower eq region.

If this is an instrument-specific thing, then I’d recommend putting the EQ or compressor into the instrument rack - it’s super-simple to put an EQ after Synth1 into the “Synth1 rack” and select specific EQ presets for each Synth1 sound within the rack.

Racks are far more powerful than simply using them to encapsulate one VST synth - go crazy and create patches with one or multiple synth plugins plus an effects chain made up of a number of VST effects! Go beyond simply EQing Synth1 - send it through a guitar amp - e.g. Voxengo Boogex is free (combine it with some Rosen or 3Sigma impulse responses) and helps you breathe life into your synths! Or push it through some phaser, chorus or space reverb VSTs - this is when Cantabile really outclasses any hardware synth…

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

Spot on Torsten.

The thing about Cantabile is that positively encourages you to PLAY this stuff in ways that conventional DAWs don’t.
Synth1 is such a super little low CPU synth, I have a particular rack with 4 of them - it’s like having a Super Duper Jupiter … especially if you grab a few Plz midi LFOs and start assigning them to parameters.

The textures can be really deep and sophisticated when additional DSP and controllers are applied - and all recalled with one button.

In fact, Cantabile allows us to see all our plugins as part of one huge, integrated, workstation in a way that no hardware synth or conventional DAW can do.
Love it.
(And that’s why I’d love to see Rewire support; these Cantabile constructions deserve to be integrated into the recording sphere )

1 Like

My work instrument also all the time, it has some major flaws but very easy to program and low CPU. After some years i can program it intuitively.
I just made some soundware for it
http://encounters.be/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_63