Has Gforce run out of ideas?

After Axxess, a scaled down version of Oddity 3, not very significant IMHO, now OB-EZ, a preset-only version of the mighty Eight Voice.

Why not a high quality CS-80 (to name just one)? I know Dave Spiers loves it, and anyway there are many more interesting synths out there to make the great VSTs Gforce have released (e.g. Minimonsta2, Oddity3, the Obie series).

Or have I failed to understand their marketing choices? Very low cost instruments is GF’s new direction?

I get it how the OB-EZ idea would have worked in a meeting setting. Easy, rapid development at low cost, low priced “gateway drug” item with great sound for new customers, hooks into direct upgrade path revenue, etc.

So on paper it looks great. It probably even sounds great since the full version sounds great. Now whether they can actually sell a dumbed down preset player is another question. But I do see how they reasoned it out and decided to try it.

2 Likes

Yup, you’re right, I’m just trying to work out which way they’re going.
I’m sure OB-EZ sounds like Eight Voice.

Maybe it’s 'cause I always expect amazing instruments from GF, which is one of my fav developers.

Yes. It is not yours to know. So it is…so it shall be. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, if they have slowed down a little, it is saving pressure on my wallet. :slight_smile:

I can only assume it is an astute marketing choice of theirs which may help sell more VSTs for folks who may be completely daunted by the eight voice GUI. And it might be a place holder whilst they are working on something truly awesome. A bit like a band’s record label chucking out a live or greatest hits album whilst the band is being creative.

But that is only conjecture.

And TBH, there are so many CS80 options out there do we really need another one? The Cherry Audio one is awesome.

What I would like them to see do next is update the IMPOSCAR like they just did the Minimosta

1 Like

Well, the CS80 was just one. And there don’t seem to be many, except Arturia and Cherry.

I agree with Imposcar, it really needs a ‘modern’ renovation.