Green Lights but No Sound

Hello. I’ve had a similar problem in the past but running as Administrator fixed it. Not this time! The problem I’m having is that a couple of VST’s that have worked fine in Cantabile for the past few years have all of a sudden stopped working. Let me explain.
I have 1.Ezkeys, 2.Piano Tech, 3.IK Hammond B-3x, 4.Swam Sax, 5.Swam Trumpet, 6.Swam Flute, 7.-9. three instances of Korg Extreme and 10.Transfuser. I select these VST’s from an old GTE phone with an OSC app. This has worked flawlessly for the past few plus years.
We played New Years Eve, All was fine, everything worked as expected. When I got home, a couple days later, I set everything back up for practice etc.
When I hooked up my keyboard and laptop I brought up Cantabile as usual but this time the IK Hammond, and all instances if Korg Extreme wouldn’t work… No sound!
I checked all the settings in Cantabile… everything OK. I swapped USB cables,
No change. The incoming MIDI (green light(s)) come on when I play my Keyboard controller (M-Audio keystation 88). I’ve checked the Midi monitor and all VST’s are recieving MIDI, I’ve triple checked the input configuration… everything OK. Correct routing and Engine selected.

If I play for example, The Hammonds app keyboard with my mouse I get sound. All the other VST’s (EZkeys etc.) play fine.

I’m out of ideas to try. Any help to fix this problem or if anyone has had this happened to them? and you fix it etc. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve Dray

Hi @steve_d,

if I understand correctly, you have already checked that MIDI note-on messages are arriving to the VST input. In that case, I would start checking the audio path from the VST plugin towards the “Main speaker” output using the Cantabile level meters. Is the VST producing audio at all? If there is audio at the output, where is it supposed to go? Does it arrive there? Sometimes a volume setting can go to minus infinity and stop your signal going further.

That’s what I’d check first, after MIDI.

Gabriel

I’ve had similar things happen in the past that turned out to be apparently connected with licensing issues, where i needed to upgrade and/or re-install the plugin which fixed the problem.

Just my experience,
-Jim

Just a thought: Is the keyboard still sending MIDI on the right channel(s)?

I think you might be on to something here. I purchased Transfuser some years ago and went to install it in this present laptop and got an error saying my license time limit has expired (something like that).

They’re all pointing to the Main Speaker and they produce sound if I bring up edit plugin and click the mouse on the vst keyboard.

Thanks for the replies but know I don’t think it’s a Cantabile issue.
I unistalled then reinstalled Korg and IK and same exact problem.
I downloaded and installed Reaper and same thing in Reaper. The VST’s that work in Cantabile work in Reaper. The VST’s that don’t work in Cantabile don’t work in Reaper. These non working VST’s work fine in my desktop in Cantabile and Reaper.
This setup has worked fine on the laptop until now.
I even swapped interfaces from Tascam 144 MKii to Presonus AudioBox… same problem.
The laptop is an HP windows 11

Paolo Cocco asked:

Just a thought: Is the keyboard still sending MIDI on the right channel(s)?<<
Yes, EZkeys, Pianoteque, all Swam VST’s still work fine.