General Midi Synth plugin

TBH, I wouldn’t spend any money on it these days - the combination of bassmidi and free soundfonts like Arachno or the SC55 soundfont is definitely good enough. ’

I own Sound Canvas VA, and I use it when building arrangements from MIDI files - because I have it as part of my Roland Cloud subscription. But if / when I cancel that subscription (not really convinced I want to stay there), I won’t really miss it - I’ll simply replace it with bassmidi…

Cheers,

Torsten

I thought the sound samples were much more recent.
In this case it would be useless to think about a purchase.
I tried them all Sf2 banks you recommended, they have their differences, but on the whole they have a sufficient sound performance.
So that’s okay, Paolo and Torsten, thanks for the advice.
Sergio

Essentially, the proposition of the Sound Canvas VA is to sound as close as possible to the original Sound Canvas hardware (SC-8820, SC-88 Pro, SC-88, SC-55). So no “more recent” samples…

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

I read somewhere “SC-55 acoustic piano is like a car crash sound”. :rofl:

Sergio

This is my experience:
In past years, I was quite the E-Mu fan. I can still use their excellent samples, but technology has changed since those days, and there are several vsts similar to E-MU and Sound Canvas, with much better sounds and easier to use. I still have a few Roland hardware modules, and was excited when Roland made them into vsts. I used them, but when Roland went to the subscription model, I left them.
It has been many years since I used a General MIDI module or vst. The problem I found with that process was that I was limited to what few, and lesser samples I had to choose from within the particular module or vst. For the most part, it would almost always sound cheap and fake, even with superior midi files. I eventually found vsts with realistic sounds, and used them singularly in individual midi files.
I am not suggesting you do the same, I am just relaying my experience using General MIDI. You must do what is good for you, because only you know exactly what you are trying to achieve. If you are comfortable with the Sound Canvas, then by all means, that is what you should use. Good luck on your endeavor.

Regards

Corky

1 Like

Thank you for the info and for the advice.
I made a series of evaluations with everything I perceived in your responses.
I only chose what came close to my expectations, so now I can create my own presets based with the B5v3, the use of the audio player (with the bassmidi VST), two or three Sf2s and some effects.
As far as I have available and for the use I want to make of it, I’m fine with it. Cantibile offers a sea of ​​solutions that I will try to “capture” step by step.
I am not lacking in consistency, I know that you will help me as you have done up to now.
Meanwhile, here I got it …
Sergio

1 Like

I started experimenting with the presets and the audio player.
One of the Sf2 banks contains (bassmidi visti), as I said a few days ago, discreet sounds.
Now, without starting the midi file, I noticed that you can play a single sound chosen from the many instruments forming the Sf2 bank.
Among these is a fairly discreet church organ. I mixed my B5v3 presets combined with some hints of effects (reverber and chorus) and played Mendelssohn’s wedding march and something else church classic on them.
So, just to have an impartial judgment, I asked what he thought of my friend organist much better than me: he told me that it seemed very realistic, not really a real pipe organ, but very similari.
What did I get?
I have used together some VST Hammond and Sf2, maybe all this may be unorthodox but …
As a Cantabile apprentice I’m not bad …
Sergio.

1 Like

Hi guys. I wanted a clarification on Sound Canvas Va. I am not sure if by purchasing this VST it is a subscription or expire after one year. Can you tell me something?
Sergio

According Roland Cloud You can activate a free subscription and buy a SCV lifetime license at $69

1 Like

hi Paolo, thank you for information on Roland Cloud.
Do you know if there is a PDF for the Sound Canvas VA?

There is a huge (111 pages) user manual here. Enjoy the reading :joy:
Sorry can’t help more, I’m no more subscribed to Roland Cloud, and I never really used the SC.

Hi Paolo.
Knowing that there is a manual is more than enough. I had tried looking for it on the internet, without success, so thank you for it.
If I am looking at the Sf2 or the GM / GS it does not mean that the VST or the Samples do not interest me, on the contrary, it is the opposite …
It is just great curiosity to know their differences, strengths or weaknesses.
This means that this panorama is very vast and intriguing.
Cantabile I am discovering it day after day, you give me enormous help with advice, instructions, etc. This is no small thing !! An example, as I said some time ago, is what VST and Sf2 can coexist. Lastly, I am very curious about Sound Canvas VA not so much for the huge amount of sounds, but for the possibilities of sound changes that I have not found in other similar programs.

Thanks Paolo for the help.
Sergio

1 Like

You’re welcome, Sergio. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have found something much better although the installation can be a pain. Steinberg has Halion Sonic 3 SE for free, and Dorico SE for free. when you have both installed and free BTW you can change the GM sounds in the GM bank.

1 Like

Hi Douglas F.
Welcome to the Community.
Indeed loading Halion Sonic 3 SE is a hassle …
I will read the documentation as soon as possible, it might be useful.
Thanks and bye
Sergio

Hi,
I’m just new here. I am testing the Sound Canvas VA to see if it could be a replacement of my SC88 hardware (having some problems lately).
What I experience is that I can send SysEx messages to it (created with selfmade software) to configure all parts. It updates the parts with different sounds and keyboard ranges, it sounds as it should be, but the part info doesn’t show in the display.
Do you have the same experience?

Kind regards!