Free/Inexpensive sample playback app

This is off Cantabile topic, but I have a need to get a simple, inexpensive sample player. I thought Kontakt 6 player would do it, but it only allows you to use protected/licensed libraries in it expect in Demo mode (which times out after a while).

Here’s the application:
I have a friend who does a lot of online webinars (investing) and I’m putting together a set of sound effects for him. Basically he’ll use an Akai controller (LBD8) to trigger the FX samples. I’ve prototyped what I need to do in Kontakt 5 and it works great, but a full Kontakt license will be cost prohibitive. Also, he’s not a musician so it’s important that whatever I deliver be easy to setup, launch, and update.

Is there an inexpensive sampler out there that has what I need?

Thanks in advance, oh great plugin brain…

Pat

Pat,

Many samplers are available, some free, some not. Togu Audio Line TAL-Sampler comes to mind. it is $60, but offers a demo to check it out. Google is your friend. :wink: I do not use samplers much anymore, so I am kinda “out of the loop”. I did find many on the Google search, and the KVR site. Lots to choose from.

Regards

Corky

Can’t you get away with cantabiles media player? Set up a player for each pad and load the samples into them. After that create bindings from the drum pads to the transport button of one of the media players…

Thanks for the replies… one of the problems with Google is that sometimes the results are overwhelming, and the first few clicks took me to demo software, or non-standalones… I’ll check these out, and I’ll also look at Cantabile with the media player solution… should have thought of that, but I didn’t :frowning:

Stay tuned…

1 Like

New laptop, so I downloaded Cantabile and set it up using Media Players. Since the Free version doesn’t support Media Players, I’m going to (gladly - the money is going to Brad afterall) purchase the $69 for my friend.

BTW - I am VERY surprised at the performance - in a good way. From keydown to playback I’m not noticing any latency (and some latency certainly would be OK in this application. I expected the media player to have some latency.

I love it when the obvious thing evades me, but my (virtual :slight_smile: ) friends point out an easy, inexpensive solution that will be MUCH easier to maintain …

Problem Solved…

2 Likes

Tx16wx is a free good sampler. Just doesn’t do time stretch, that’s the pro version.

The media player is very handy as sample trigger. Just not for rhythmic stuff, the timing is bad, as described elsewhere here.

Tal sampler is great, but had some minor problems IMO, it’s not so useful for pads since you cannot trigger different settings per sample.