Flat / Limited velocity curve in Cantabile Lite

I just found Cantabile, and was going to use it as a temp. workaround for Cubase 5 (I know, it’s ancient) not loading 64-bit plugins. I’ve got the program going with Christian Hendersons amazing Vaults demo VST, but when I play any key, the velocity is very limited - there’s no dynamics. I would say it’s probably a velocity range of 40-70, instead of 0-127, so … not useable.

Is this a demo limitation? If so, too bad, I must find another program then. If not, how do I change it?
When I try to edit Main Keyboard settings, I do not really have any options.

Kindly,
Christian

Hi Christian and welcome to the forum!

Cantabile Lite (the free version) is not in any way limited in MIDI dynamics - there must be something else going on. Let’s find out…

First step: check what MIDI keys are arriving at your plugin. I assume you are using a reasonably current version of Cantabile 4 Lite - correct?

In that case, simply right-click the Vaults plugin, and select “MIDI Monitor” in the pop-up menu; then select “MIDI in”. Now you will see a new window “MIDI Monitor” that will display all the MIDI data being delivered to your plugin.

Now you can see if the velocity of your MIDI data (the part after the “@” in the “Data” column) is in any way constrained or if the plugin receives the full range of MIDI velocity. Let us know what you find out - if the MIDI data is OK, then it’s something to do with the Vaults plugin; if there’s a problem with the MIDI data, let us know and we’ll dig deeper…

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Hi Torsten
Thank you for that super quick and straight-to-the-point reply.

Velocity appears to be coming through correctly, so I guess it’s the plugin?
Strange, I don’t see anywhere to adjust it in the plugin.

Running Cantabile latest version (4140), plugin latest version (just installed both)
Hmm…

Just checked in another DAW
You are absolutely correct - it is the plugin - very odd!
Thanks!

Just had a look at that plugin - the “Attic Grand” is positioned as an instrument that “gives you a radio-ready sound, regardless of your playing ability”. For that purpose, a limited dynamic range is actually beneficial - when a player doesn’t have the skills, having too much dynamic range in an instrument is likely to give un-balanced results, sounding uneven and un-polished.

I think this is more a composer’s / producer’s tool than an instrument that focuses on playability, where response to touch is essential.

So nothing wrong with it, just a different target group…

1 Like

You’re absolutely right, Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:
Personally, the dynamics are everything to me, I don’t see what I could do with this piano sample.
…But my main keyboard is the Nord Grand, and I have a hydrasynth (synth that is all about dynamics), so perhaps it wasn’t made for me :smiley:

In Christian Henderson’s initial video about this, he actually explains it (around the 5:55 mark), but I was too ADHD to pick that up;

Thank you!