First time posting

I’m new, it’s late, has anyone ever asked a stupid question? Asked and answered. I see several common issues. Hope I can help. Hope I can discover help. My first offering for what it’s worth is a trick I’m using on my Waves C6-sidechain plugs for vocal, and guitar inputs. I dropped the vocals mid bands by 2-5db and internally triggered expansion to raise them by 2-3db at a -23db threshold. Background noise disappears between lyrics. Its a passive noise gate. I compressed (ducked) the bass when the guitar is active (playing). I ducked the guitar mid bands by 3db when the vocal is active. They share the same frequency range and neither is missed, but the envelope is clearer. That’s all for starters.

1 Like

Hello Shalll, welcome to the forum. Are you using the above described C6 ducking live?

1 Like

Yes, almost everything I use is directed at live performance. I want my music to have a signature and each song to have a voice. I’m also using the C6 and CLA Guitar & Vocals like an EQ (cut not boost) and I use the floating bands with sharp Q to cut 123hz and 243hz which cuts the bass feedback allowing more volume and less mud. My main axe is a Breedlove. For recording I may include my Taylor 514ce, 655ce or George Washburn 12, just so they can come out to play. Each will require a unique C6, plus one for guests with a pick. I don’t use picks, so gain and EQ is drastically different.

I do some performing on bass with an acoustic guitarist/singer playing covers. I’ve been experimenting with products to get my Kramer Ferrington to sound more “acoustic” when the volume increases. I should try CLA guitar. What electronics are you using in your Breedlove?

1 Like

LR Baggs piezo with the bass turned all the way down. The stock Fishman wasn’t installed well and I pick 5 fingers… it was only picking up 3 strings, so my guitar guys installed the Baggs. With no other effects it has a heavy rock signature with tremolo and interesting sound tails. I also use Alixir medium poly-nano strings. With the DAW and UA Volt476 interface I had to back off the agressive play just a little (before distortion from impact clash). Sometimes I still forget, but it’s because the music sets me off. For notches I’m using -10db/-5duck @ 123hz/7.0 Q and -2,3/-7.5duck @ 278hz/49.0 Q. Thresholds at -32db. Ducking runs -2-5db. It should work well for you, however with a bass, you might be able to use a sidechain C1SC compressor. But if you take advantage of the harmonic frequencies, definitely the C6SC. Find your band crossovers using the band solo function and play around beyond the presets, which norm at 92/4k/11k… there’s nothing at 11k. I moved to 160/2240/7040 with a 0.13 Q. I’m looking at it now. The vocal is 180/1800/5400 w/0.46 Q. I included the guitar notches (same as guitar values but -15.1/-7 @ 123hz & -10.6/-8.5 @ 278hz… these are arbitrary settings), so the guitar feedback couldn’t back door through the mic. So far it’s strong and clear. And it may be the ‘final answer’ lol. I tend to fidget, but the CLA Guitar/Vocals definitely adds sweetness, with little clash.