First load/play of a session

Hi @Mistheria,

Firstly, the log file shows the note definitely arriving at the plugin so I’m suspicious this is a plugin problem.

I’ve emailed MeldaProductions about it to see if we can work together to get to the bottom of the problem.

As for the spike with the modulation wheel with VB3 I’ve not heard of this before - anyone else seeing this? (Please make sure you’ve turned off the MIDI logging features as this could impact that).

Brad

1 Like

Thanks a lot @brad ! Yes, I guess it’s a plugin issue too. I’ve removed for now all MPowerSynth instances from the setlist because I see a major issue coming from this instrument BUT not on any sound, only some of them, for example some easy pads work fine.

Concerning the VB3-leslie issue, this is happening since time, I’ve reported it already somewhere in this topic maybe you missed it, however even the expression pedal can cause that audio interruption… so, something related to MIDI data…

I’m glad you have emailed to Vojtech at MeldaProd. Hope to get that issue solved because MPowerSynth is a great instrument!

PS: yes, the MIDI logging features are off already…

Cheers

no chance to test with your DAW yet?

Hi @Ade I’ve checked it… sorry didn’t update you here but I’m sleeping 4 hours per night … :slight_smile:

Yes, MPowerSynth generates the same delayed sounds at the very first note played, the patch to test is: Lead > Bold > Modulated

Thanks!

Hi @Mistheria

Sent you an email about MPowerSynth.

As for the VB3 issue I’ve just tried here in both x86 and x64 bridged and don’t notice any change in CPU when using mod wheel, but wondering… are you just sending CC1 (modwheel) to the plugin with plugin in its default configuration, or are you using a Cantabile binding for the modwheel, or have you configured a CC mapping internally to the plugin, etc…

Brad

Hi @brad

Well, the leslie issue happens here too. Don’t know exactly where it comes from… do we have a way to check it somehow?

I’m using the plugin assigned mod. wheel to control leslie speed.

Thanks!

How about trying plugins like VB3 standalone, to see if this is an issue happening in Cantabile (either by Cantabile itself, or something hosted by it), or whether it’s something to do with your system? I don’t think there’s a standalone version of VB3, but you can easily set up any VST plugin to run “standalone” using something like SAVIhost. That may make it easier to get closer to a diagnosis for your problems.

Neil

Hi @Neil_Durant thanks, I use VB3 since years in my DAW (Cubase) and this issue never happens in there, neither in Cantabile 2.

@Mistheria I’ll take another look at this today and see if I can reproduce it.

Are you running VB3 x86 or x64? VB3 x64 has known stability issues in Cantabile and in other hosts but it’s very random. For some users/hosts it works perfectly for others it crashes reliably. Just wondering if this is a more subtle version of that.

I’ve mentioned this to VB3’s developer a few times but seems he’s busy on other projects.

1 Like

@brad

I use VB3 x64 religiously several times weekly. It is used on about 75% of the songs I play. I have never had an issue with it on C3. I did however experience problems on C2.

OK, this seems like a problem that should be reproducible but everything I’ve tried here seems to work fine. Could I get you to try this:

1. Switch Cantabile’s Audio Output to the Null Audio Driver (trying to minimize differences between systems)
  2. Create a brand new song
  3. Insert VB3 and configure it in such a way that the problem happens.
  4. Send me a copy of the song file
  5. Also send settings.json, log.txt and log-previous.txt which can be found in Tools menu -> Option Settings Folder

I’ll see if it happens here.

Long time VB3 user. Currently using the 64 bit version.
I usually have the leslie control on a footswitch CC64.
Flipped it to CC1 and tried mod wheel.
No problems on either.
Always found it to be a solid plugin, when it was 32 bit on C2 and 64 bit on C3.

Hi @brad , thanks for the link and info… I’m using - of course - the x64 version. However, I noticed that after having removed all MPowerSynth instances from the setlist, the issue with VB-3 is not happening in the last couple days… strange but that’s what I report here…

If I load VB-3 in a new session, I never have the problem with VB3 leslie speed change… so it’s hard to reproduce the issue … I’ll check when it happens again and send you the info of session.

I confirm @Ade message, I use VB-3 in all my projects since years and it’s a very stable and reliable plugin, even the x86 version was working without problems on a x64 system/DAW.

Naa! I had the same problem in Cantabile V2 with Kontakt
(the issues are more significant when using slow hard disks).
But this affair is almost negligible with SSD used.

Kind regards

Tried unistalling and reinstalling the VB3?
You never know, maybe some pref got corrupted…

Thanks Alexander for the feedback, although here I’m talking about not sampled plugins. No samples loading involved…

Best regards

Hi @Ade , I can give it a try… thanks

Hi @Mistheria

I’ve been in discussion with Vojtech about this and trying to reproduce the problem here but we’re both struggling to see/undertand what the issue is here. With the video file you sent me it’s difficult to see what the problem is from a single note hit.

One thing I did notice is that the second time you play a note with that preset, it sounds different to the first time. It sounds like one of the oscillators gliding pitch from the previous note.

eg:

1. Play C4 then C3 - you’ll hear the sliding pitch mixed in there.
  2. Now play C3 again - you don’t get that slide and it sounds cleaner.

Here’s a recording of what I’m hearing.

Could this be what you’re experiencing or is it something different?

Brad

Hi @brad , it’s nothing connected with the “sound” itself.

The problem is easy: you plat a key you expect the sound starting right? Well, when this issue happens the sound does not start, is like you have latency on a sound board, sounds starts later. That’s all.

Probably both Cantabile and MPowerSynth work correctly and it’s just an issue on my system, but the strange thing is that this issue happens on 2 different laptops and even on Cubase. No idea for now, I solved replacing MPowerSynth with another virtual instrument.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Mistheria

OK. Well given that it happens in Cubase too I’m not sure there’s much I can do about it. Could be a hardware issue, or could be a problem with the plugin getting started I suppose.

Brad

1 Like