First gig: losing contact with controller

Hello Cantabile community

New user here, Cantabile solo running on MS Surface Pro 3 i3 4gb ram. Focusrite 8i8 interface, Novation 61SLmk2 board.

Very amateurish setup I know but it’s a “fun” band.

Trying to run a few iterations of Modartt, GSI-VB3 and OB-Xd, in embedded racks, toggled on/off by midi cc with each VST on a separate midi channel.

Gigged for the first time last night and had several episodes of laptop stopping responding to midi entirely. Fixed by disconnecting/reconnecting keyboard’s USB cable.

Otherwise worked well. Still can’t seem to stop my Surface screen going to sleep despite my best efforts following Brad’s guidance.

I’m sure I’ve omitted several crucial bits of info but if anyone is able to comment I’d be very grateful.

Thanks
Tim

Hi Tim and Welcome to the Forum! :slight_smile:

It sounds like your tablet’s power settings plan needs tweaking to

• never let the screen sleep
  • never let the USB ports sleep

These settings are all detailed in Brad’s publication

Give it a look and let us know if you get hung up. We’ll try to help you get it sorted.

Cheers,

Dave

2 Likes

Would also suggest good quality USB cables and some controllers need a powered USB hub.

2 Likes

Thanks both. I had been through Glitch Free but must have failed to switch off USB suspend - now attended to, will see what happens! And yes I probably need to treat myself to a decent cable for my controller… Will report back

2 Likes

Not tested long enough to ensure usb issue is sorted but so far, so good.

However, my display is still turning off after 15 mins. I’ve been back through my settings - everything is set as per Brad’s guide. I’ve also disabled hibernation using a command prompt. No change in behaviour. Any other ideas?

I should add that I’m using the Bitsum CPU parking software and the “highest performance” protocol. However even if I set my own parameters the screen off problem persists

I’ve just discovered MS Powertoys as a means of keeping screen on - seems to work but I’ll come back to this thread if no good. Thanks all

1 Like

I also had a similar problem. The controller also lost contact with the laptop. Using a powered USB Hub was the solution.

Thanks, I should have added I have been using a powered USB hub since starting out. Have bought a decent USB cable and tweaked the settings as above - will report back

Have now achieved gltich-free gigs thanks to the advice above. Audio-grade USB cable; disable USB ports sleeping; always-on screen (required Powertoys to achieve this on my Surface Pro 3)

1 Like