Feedback computer config

Try Latencymon and let us know. Let the program run for at least 30min in idle PC situation.

Here the result of LatencyMon in idlle PC situation:

Geekom IT13 i9-13900H 5,4 GHz max 32GB RAM + 2TB SSD without audio optimization exept that power plan was set to maximum performance.

This confrims the earlier findings with DPC Latency Checker und audio perfoarmance test.

Hmm, Iā€™m currently evaluating different possibilities:

First I was looking at DeskMini B760 with i5-12600K / 32GB RAM / 2TB SSD = cca 900eur (without software, to build by myself)

but seeing perfromance data from @MLK and his Geekom IT13 with i9-13900H /32GB RAM / 2TB SSD as tested by @MLK = 750eur (without software, prebuilt) Iā€™m not sure anymoreā€¦

the DeskMini would have the 65W TDP DESKTOP cpu (base freq 3,3GHz), the Geekom would have a 45W TDP MOBILE cpu with 2,6GHz base freq.

What are your opinions? Iā€™d like to use it for heavier gigging - multiple Kontakt libraries at the same time, Zebra synth, IK B-3X, all layered and/or split in a song.

@MLK may I ask what is boot time from cold start to Windows and to full Cantabile setup?

Thanks and best regards,
Matej

Hey Matej,

If youā€™re thinking of playing heavy gigs, donā€™t use a mobile processor (45W and below).

I am trying out a DIY PC based on a AMD 5800X with 64GB and PCIe v4 SSDs, which runs smoothly even with many demanding VSTs.
Trouble: itā€™s not a MiniPC, but weā€™re working on getting all this hardware into a rackmount at least.

My 0.0000001 ā‚¬ (which is: my experience)

1 Like

Hey, thanks very much. This is one of my thoughts too but:

In my case Iā€™m not ready to go bigger than the DeskMini which doesnā€™t unlock full potential of 12600K and maybe not even 12400, due to form factor and small VRMs.

Also, I think Iā€™ve read somewhere that most problems with mobile processors arise from laptop power management (battery?) and that mini PCs (like the Geekom) are much less affected? No personal experience thoughā€¦

Anybody with good or bad experience?
Thanks and regards,
Matej

Hey matejb,

the IT13 with its M.2 2280 PCIe Gen 4x4 SSD is really fast on booting taking only a few seconds. The full Cantabile setup is reached in 20 seconds. With my old Surface 3 Pro this took at least two minutes - never measured exactly. Since this time depends on the number and type of VST instruments loaded, here the structure of my songs and its ā€œKEYBOARD VSTā€-Rack:

I am currently updating this rack!

The problem is not the power managment if you set it to maximum performance. The problem is rather the thermal throttling of the mobile processors reaching critical temperatures of the cores. This can be solved by exchanging the factory thermal paste of the IT13-13900H with Conductonaut (liquid metal, Thermal Grizzly) as described above.

I should stress that the thermal paste Conductonaut has a thermal conductivity of 73W/mK which is 5x higher than any normal high-end thermal paste (non liquid metal). This is really amazing.

However, liquid metals are only compatible with copper and must not be used with coolers made of aluminium. Moreover, since liquid metals conduct current some precautions have to be taken that liquid metal does get in contact with other elements of the board around the processor. For this purpose coatings are availabe which are applied like a nail polish around the processor.

Thanks @cpaolo and @MLK very much for guidance. Although the results of IT13 look excellent and it was a tough decision, I jumped on to the newest DeskMini, hoping to squeeze even better performance due to desktop CPU and more cooling volume. I will post some results when I get it and play with it for a little bit.
Regards,
Matej

Hi,
as promised, here are the results:

DeskMini B760, i5-12600K, 32GB RAM, WD Black SN850X SSD. Done some simple optimizations as per Bradā€™s guide and added Process Lasso.

Results are quite good but not on the @MLKā€™s Geekom Mini IT13 level.
Avg TL 22,5%, Max TL 25%.

DPC Latency however is really good, probably max about 400us.

I have it mounted inside a portable Gator Audio Rack Bag so I probably wouldnā€™t be too comfortable putting a more powerful CPU inside due to thermals, but as it is it is quite stable at <70Ā°C when Cantabile is running and idle so Iā€™m pretty happy anyway.

Hi Paolo,
did the Torsten test yesterday with my
HP Elitedesk 800 G4 Mini, i7 8700, 3.2 GHz, 6 cores
38% avg, 43% peak
cheers

Hi @matejb and @Joop ,

Iā€™ll add your results to the performances database

Paolo