Feedback computer config

Hi guys,

I’m on an i9 7700x @ 3.3 GHz (10 cores - HT Off) and hit around 33% not quite the heights one would expect to hit over a lot of the i7s but does show that it’s not necessariy the number of cores that gives you the performance…

Cheers, and thanks to @Torsten as always.

P

It seems there are very different experiences, and a few processors to evaluate. I’m about to gather our posts to create a small database. I think I’ll use an Excel sheet, in old .xls format (Office 97-2003). So, it will be compatible with G-docs, OpenOffice and more. Here’s a possible screenshot. Any feedback will be appreciated.
In the meantime, I’d like to see more test like the one @Torsten proposed.

More cores can help. The most important parameter is the frequency. The higher GHz the better.That’s why desktop win on laptop.

That is my desktop… :wink:

P

At now, yes :thinking:

A great way to understand the performance of a processor is a parameter called “thermal design power” (TDP). Hereby the PC’s typical values:

• Ultra portable PC (fanless) : 5W
  • Portable PC : 15W
  • Gaming PC and Mobile Workstation : 45W
  • Desktop PC : 65 to 95W
  • Desktop workstation and server : 95 to 250W (and more)

Although the relationship between TDP and performance is not linear, surely the higher TDP the faster PC

1 Like

Another (@torsten) test. Sorry, the result is really funny, so I posted here.

• 22.1% average. 27.7 max (i7-7700HQ@2.8GHz) Null Audio/256

Well, it’s a MSI gaming laptop, but I think there is something wrong in this result. Time Load is too low. Using my typical test configuration (sampled piano + convolution reverb) I get 10% average. Same test on my older laptop (4th gen. i7) result is about 16% average. Both these PCs are heavily tweaked, I spent days trying turning windows-services off. The wifi is uninstalled, Antimalware is off, same for firewall, indexing, and lots of other services.
@brad, Windows 10 installed in the gaming pc is version 2004. I tried to set the core parking, I set to 0 the right parameter in right keys, but in the power plan i see Min. speed and Max. speed. After the update, core parking is disappeared. Any hint?

Lenovo Thinkpad T590
I7-8565U @ 1.8 GHz
16GB RAM

I have it optimized with “the instructions” plus I kill all of the Lenovo services when I start doing music studio stuff.

I am seeing Time Load values from 37.4% to 43% usually with quick spikes to 50%+.

With your msi laptop you get the best results!
Is it because the processor is named HQ ?

No, I guess there’s somewhat error I can’t understand. 22% is definitely an impossible value. I’ll delete the test from the file.

If anyone wants to test his/her PC, please send me the result (or post here), I’ll update the list.

• 52% average. 91% peak (Ryzen 5 2500U@2.0GHz) NullAudio/256
    AMD Ryzen 5 2500U is (sadly) a not so efficient processor. It can be compared to a underpowered 7th series mobile Intel i5. 3500U is better, but still lacks of performances. Only the brand new 4xxx models are on same level of a 10th gen intel, sometimes better.

Hi
Just let you know I 've upgrape my system.
Took a mini pc with i9 9880h
32gb hyperimpact ram +ssd evopro .

Bought the last babyface pro fs…

Even at 2ms, big songs with 2 omnisphere with 8 multi each, 2 kontakt, 3 mediaplayers, 1 FLstudio won’t get over 50% cpu.

A Dream come true!SmartSelect_20201027-013924_Alibabacom

1 Like

Dave,

can you repeat the "five sessions of TyrrelN6 " test on your brand new little monster, and post the result?

Paolo

I need some advice on buying a PC for music. I don’t know if it’s better to start a new thread or ask for advice in an existing one…anyway, let’s try the second option. :wink:

I have about 400 euro to spare for a new pc. Presently I am using an old laptop (HP 6550B, i5, 4GB RAM, win7 32 bit) and of course I can’t use any CPU intensive plugin (no DIVA, omnisphere, etc…).
I have resumed playing during the lockdown, after more than ten years, and I was not even sure I would’ve find the time and will to continue. When I stopped playing in a band, around 2005, I was just considering moving from hardware to VSTs…coming back to it aftert all this time, it has been quite a shock! :laughing: I have spent a lot of time going through old threads and learning a lot from you all!
Anyway, I am really enjoying playing again (I have even relearned a few of my bands prog numbers) so know I am looking for a more powerful PC…I was considering a refurbished mini-PC as an option, like this one (though it’s in Italian, specs should be clear enough):

Probably I would need to expand the RAM to 16GB…

What do you think? Any hints?
Gabriel

well,
I tried a lot of stuff…
it’s quite old generation processors…
I think you will be a bit disapointed… Well, if you want omnisphere running without glitches…

Think about taking a good soundcard !!! I can just but recommand you to take a rme babyface. Best drivers I’ve seen !! it changed my life!

now if you turn on mini PC like me, be carefull to the letter behind the number of the processor. Mine is I9 9880H, the letter H makes a lot of difference on performance, as I have been told.

look at this! It’s really better

Hi @daveeurope! Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention that I actually have an external soundcard. Presently I am using a Steinberg UR22mkII (usb). I also own a Terratec Phase24 (firewire) which I bought 15 years ago…when I was about to switch to vst’s…I know firewire is not used that much, today…

So I would not use the PC soundcard for music.

Thanks for the hint on the processor and for pointing me to another option…it’s a bit pricey for me but I will consider it (I have also to buy a LCD monitor to go with it…).
Gabriel

Here it is null audio 256

34% - 36% average 35% most of the time (max 51% rarely peaks )

Considering the I9-9880H is a mobile series processor, it rocks!

Gabriel,

my hint is don’t buy the i5 Dell. It’s a quite old PC. Drop a list of the VSTs you use, we’ll try to think a better hints.
Paolo