Feature Request: target bindings to virtual buttons on the controller bar?

Any one else wish they could use the virtual buttons as target bindings?
I’d like to use those buttons to display status as an enhanced scribble strip.
For example, to display the rack state of a nested embedded rack that is not visible at song level.
I’d like to be able to set button velocity, which will then reflect whether it is pressed or released, button text, button colour, and “tip”

2 Likes

Hi @a6325435

I’ve considered adding support for receiving MIDI on those buttons - eg: sending CC to set the display value of a matching button, but I’ve never really considered them as binding targets - that’s an interesting idea, let me think about it.

Brad

1 Like

Nice idea. I would appreciate it.

Peter

Bad form for quoting myself, but @Brad is it possible to have rack name, rack state name, rack state program number, rack state index number available as variables please? Also for use as Sysex vars.

I know this depends on which rack you are in, so could the values reflect the current rack from which you are calling the variable?

If calling the variable from outside a rack, then it could be blank?

1 Like

The problem with this is the variables are pretty much global - ie: they don’t really know the context they’re being called from so I’d need to build a framework for this. Let me think about it. Is it just Sys-ex where you’d want to use these variables?

Brad

Ideally in normal bindings as well. As in this thread’s example of sending the current rack state name to a custom button.

2 Likes

Was any progress made on this? I’ve never really employed buttons over the most basic use, but I would find the ability to display the status of rack or plugin, regardless of how deep in the hierarchy it is, extremely useful.

Adrian