FCB1010 Warning

IN a recent topic about moving between songs and states I mentioned the FCB1010, and that the swell pedals were not that effective. I was referred to a site which offered an EPROM upgrade, (fcb1010 - UnO - Eprom) and I could either download the program and write my own chip, or buy one ready made from another site. But on following the link I ended up with a Trojan malware which disabled my laptop.

It is now hopefully sorted, but be warned. I shall be contacting that site about it, as they may ell not know about the malware.

1 Like

Copying this here as well:

The voes.be site is outdated - there has been a lot of development around UNO over the past years, with different hardware-specific versions.

Here is the “official” and current site for the UNO chip in its various forms.

The shop on this site should be safe.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up :+1:

I had intended to upgrade mine. I hadn’t done so yet, good thing I didn’t.

EurekaPROM is another great alternative to consider. Its “IO mode” works beautifully with Cantabile in my experience—effectively giving your Cantabile bindings complete midi control over all device aspects.

Yup, I have this installed in my FCB 1010s (I have two…).

The IO mode provides what is missing from all the UnO versions: a way to also control the LEDs from outside. It essentially reduces the FCB to a “dumb peripheral” to Cantabile - build a linked rack to manage the FCB and use it as an input controller and a display, and go completely crazy mixing different functions on its buttons…

Here’s a video of Eureka IO mode in action - the author uses Bome Midi Translator, but you could do similar stuff in Cantabile with bindings, states and racks.

I wonder what beautiful madness @dave_dore and @ClintGoss could create with an FCB 1010 in this mode…

2 Likes

Eureka looks very good. How are the pedals when working with that eprom?

Pedals send CC 102 and 103 (left/right). Calibration is as with the original EPROM.

So lots of values skipped?

Not sure - is that your experience with the original EPROM?

Eureka claim they’ve made some improvement to pedal response and range (see their version history) - maybe that addresses your issues?

Overall, the FCB 1010 hardware has a funky implementation of its expression pedals - shining an LED through a graduated plastic strip. Difficult to find a software approach to work around the limitations of this implementation. It appears that the guys at Eureka are using some kind of “dampening” approach to avoid “jitter” between two adjacent MIDI values, which definitely helps avoid “MIDI spam”.

The factory setup was pretty appalling and no amount of calibration would improve it. After installing UNO it was as bad as ever and the developer said there was some kind of over ambitious data reduction going on. He provided a version which outputs all values and operates far more smoothly, as you can imagine.
Previously, the bottom end of the travel was almost unusable on my unit. Way too notchy.

Interesting, I’ve had a different experience, maybe due to my application…? It all depends how you need it to work for you, I guess… you guys must be needing more advanced things I haven’t encountered yet. I can see where the IO LED control can be helpful, but I’ve gotten used to not having that option.

Yeah I wish it was smaller, but it’s a tank. I do like the 10 buttons so the functions are usually consistent, but I also change a button’s functions by song quite often.
I have 3 FCB’s for 2 bands… one in SWFL, one in NY, and one that travels back and forth with me… for probably 8 or 9 years now. Never a failure so far :crossed_fingers: All are with the stock chip…Cantabile does everything… double tap functions (thanks Dave Dore!), filtering pedals, etc. I did try the Eureka a few years ago but didn’t need it. I do get the occasional missed value on the pedals if I check it, but it’s not noticeable for anything I’ve done so far, even bindings with >64 or <64. I also clean the little plastic tab every couple years and that definitely improves the smoothness… in fact that fixed a wah issue I was having. Just my .02!
Tom

2 Likes