Was wondering if anyone has experienced this recently:
I did two small venue gigs this weekend. I setup two different set lists, checked them out, and verified. On the 1st gig, I started getting this message near the end of the 2nd set, and manually loaded several songs as “open song”. My sound also deteriorated into a distorted muddy mess. Never could figure it out and struggled with it the rest of the gig. I restarted the engine, rebooted the laptop and audio interface. No change.
Next night I ran into the same problem near the end of the 1st set, and had to abandon many songs down the list. The songs that did load were sounding as bad as the prior night. During break, I found again that I could manually load the songs, and the sound began to come back as normal. I quickly set up a new set list with the songs that received the error message earlier. Everything worked fine. I am not blaming version 3247, but I’ve not had this problem before installing it last week. More than likely a computer problem and will be testing everything this week. Again, if anyone has had this problem, would love to know your solution.
P.S. Two notable musicians from STAX record days sat in with the band on the 2nd night. The elderly keyboardist was REALLY impressed with my “great grand piano”( Acoustic Samples Academic Grand) and my “B3” (VB3). He wanted to know where the Leslie cabinet was, and what great keyboard I was using. I told him the keyboard was a controller and all the sounds, including leslie were computer generated. He was shocked. Then I showed him Cantabile and he got my number for a future discussion. So glad I got my rig running before that moment!!