Expression Pedal not recognized by all VSTs

I have the midi expression USB hub for my pedals which at the moment, I am using simply for sustain as I get accustom to C3. I am using Lite at the moment. I have used C2 professional for many years. So I add my instrument, which creates routing…no problem. When I add my expression pedal to the input port, the pedal will work for some VSTs and not others. Also, I noticed that when the pedal will not work, it is not the first selection available on the choose route target dropdown. Any ideas?

For an expression pedal to work, your VST instrument needs to react to CC 11 - not all plugins accept that. You can re-direct your controllers using a MIDI filter (e.g. change Expression to Modulation) via a MIDI filter, but these you only get starting with Cantabile Solo - not Lite.

Not sure about your last sentence:

Also, I noticed that when the pedal will not work, it is not the first selection available on the choose route target dropdown.

Not quite sure what you mean - a pedal should not be the target of a route, but rather the SOURCE. Maybe you can post a screenshot of your issue?

Cheers,

Torsten

Here are two screenshots showing what I was referring to about Massive not showing up first in the drop down…and not working when selected with the expression pedal…and then Expression pedal not controlling volume.

But the other app shows up first in the drop down and the volume control works.

OK, the first one is simple: Output ports are sorted ALPHABETICALLY, so Massive will show up after all the Loopback ports and before the Output ports, whilst the DDX10 will show up first, just because there’s nothing before it alphabetically. But guess what happens once you insert a BlueCat Chorus… :wink:

The issue with Massive not reacting to your volume pedal has nothing to do with the sequence of output ports in the route target - this is all about assigning modulation sources in Massive’s matrix. If your expression pedal sends CC11 (I assume), then you need to assign CC11 to a useful target - in Massive’s case Amp Mod in the output section or the Master Volume. That should do the trick. So for most virtual analog synths, you’ll have to patch the Expression pedal yourself using their modulation matrix or other mechanisms - that’s part of the fun :wink:

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes