Everybody Stretch!

I’ve been listening to Eno’s ambient stuff, Frippertronics and such a lot lately and I decided to download Paulstretch and have some fun. It’s a utility that makes high quality stretch sound files- you can stretch up to 10,000x or something like 10^18 in hyperstretch mode; I calculated one second of music would last 30,000,000,000 years or something ridiculous like that. My first experiment was to take a drone piece I recorded last year as part of my Covid album and stretch it to half an hour. For anyone with the curiosity or the patience :smiley: here it is:

Warning- the fade in is stretched too so there’s no sound for about a minute.

And for reference, the original:

I’m going to keep messing around with it. Already slow music works best it seems because fast music when slowed can still have odd transitions.

6 Likes

Truly fascinating! I am very impressed with how well It retains the frequencies. Neato!!!

I’ve downloaded it now myself and will have a play at it! :slight_smile:

Terry

3 Likes

Very interesting, @FredProgGH!
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

It’s a lot of fun! It also has noise filtering- I’ve done pieces with drums and cymbals and of course they just become white noise but the ability of the program to filter that and leave only the melodic content is pretty impressive. I have yet to listen to a resulting piece all the way through uninterrupted though :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, it’s quite impressive.

FredASMR ! :grinning:

Hmmm. I wonder if stretching a fart stem would make a decent drum track. On the other hand, it would probably sound like ****. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It would be a mighty wind.

1 Like

Ahhh! A force of nature.

Try expanding the “fart drum track” by 10^18. It will end beyond the end of the universe, who’ll listen it? :grinning:

1 Like

Maybe because you used the “HyperStretch” mode - “may stretch up to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times (10^18)” - I suggest you try the shorter modes! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Terry

I will. (While in “god” mode…)

Terry

3 Likes

I found a stem online. It is called “cheek flapper”. Should make a good drum track, but I will have to synchronize it with my DAW tempo. :grin:

1 Like

Proper stretching eliminates any sense of beat though😉 wow that sounds really dirty for some reason.

3 Likes

It does seem that anything with nice major triads yields very super mello ambient vibes, very new age :wink: I made a nice one today that we may use bits of for an album but it’s 280 minutes long! It’s going to be tough to edit down to the nice bits.

1 Like

Wait, isn’t the standard length of top ten hits now 280 minutes? :crazy_face:

No it just feels that way … The first time I heard about this thing it was that guy who made a Justin Bieber song 18 hours long :joy:

1 Like

You watched Bieber for 18 hrs? What a brave soul! :rofl:

Yes Bill. I watched Justin Bieber for 18 hours.:stuck_out_tongue:
bill4

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing,

This is amazzzzing :smiley:

I’m having a listen to something I made last year (or the year before???)
I stretched to only 7.5 times. this has turned “meh” into somthing a bit more mysterious or dramatic.
I need to click that heart 10 times

Cheers :smiley:

2 Likes