Double computer monitors

Do any of you use a two monitor set up on your home computers? I am not talking about your live rig, but your home recording set up. I am getting close to getting a new home computer and I have heard of a lot of folks using two monitors.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks - Paul

I always use two monitors - mixer on one screen, project on the other. No cons I can think of.

Snap. Have used two monitors since 2004 and do the same. Would never go back to a single monitor unless it had the real estate of two

What the others said…
Two monitors since twenty years. When using Cantabile, one is for the main window, the other for the plugin editor windows. With Cakewalk, one monitor for the mixer and the other for all the rest.

Gabriel

I use a 4 monitor setup in the studio. Mixer, project, video and productivity.

I’m strongly considering replacing the 4 with a cheap 4k TV to simplify cable management, alignment etc.

You could also look at a wide screen monitor like this. My son has one in his studio and it’s a really nice, clean look. And the width allows several windows if you want. It’s especially nice for DAW studio work since the width shows you a lot more of the tracks area.
https://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-34E1C5600HE-UltraWide-QHD-Built/dp/B0BQQ7H8TZ/ref=asc_df_B0BQQ7H8TZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=661073547997&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9735107499242548726&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015192&hvtargid=pla-2186571976763&psc=1&mcid=d479f00316023dd4a471608ffbe0465f
Tom

Excuse my fervent ignorance:
How do you set up the two monitors with just the Cantabile?

I don’t with Cantabile, but having plugin GUIs on a separate monitor, or charts or lyrics would seem handy for certain users.

I bought a Vizio 40" 4k model V405-H9 for $220 several years ago. One thing to look for is Chroma subsampling 4:4:4 which translates into sharp text. I have it on a gas assist desk mounted arm which is helpful for optimum placement.

When TV’s are evaluated for use with a computer the primary concern is usually the display’s ability to render motion smoothly in games. I’m more interested in how even the lighting is and accuracy of color. The Vizio is adequate in both those departments but not stellar but for displaying a 4k DAW it’s great.

BTW, I was puzzled when curved wide screen monitors appeared but I now see how they can help when sitting 2 ft away. My 40" changes a bit as I move from side to side viewing it.

I still use a second 27" 1080p monitor to display plugins

UPDATE - forgot to mention I had to buy an $80 GT-1030 video card to support 4k

1 Like

I don’t use multiple monitors with Cantabile. And I dont use Cantabile in the studio.

This is all great help. Thank you.

• Paul

Late to the party, but here my 2 cents:

I really enjoy having two monitors in my studio setup. One large 32 inch 4K “main screen” at the center of my desk (between the monitor speakers) and a 19 inch “secondary” on a monitor swivel arm to the right side.

Main DAW window (arrangement, editors) runs on the main screen, while the mixer sits tucked away on the secondary. Also, I move plugin and instrument windows to the secondary to keep them at hand while working on the arrangement in the main window.

I use Cubase window view configurations to switch quickly between views - (1) arrangement view on the main monitor, mixer on second for most of recording, editing and mix automation work, and (2) mixer on the main monitor and arrangement on second (for quick navigation) for the serious static mixing sessions. Really powerful!

All this saves me a lot of hunting for the relevant window or having to open / close all the time - wouldn’t want to live without my second screen.

For Cantabile work, this could be really useful when building songs - have your relevant plugin windows detached and over on the second screen while working on the routing in the main window - or have it the other way round: the plugins and instruments on the main screen and the Cantabile routing view on the second. That works very well when doing sound design and a lot of synth editing. Making synth sound edits in Surge XT is a lot more fun on the large screen! Meanwhile, having the routing view on the second screen to balance levels throughout the editing process helps building complex layered sounds.

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes