Does Cantabile phone home?

Imt seems that Cantabile.com was down all day (for me, at least). Which happens, no big deal. But what is a big deal for me is that the Cantabile application would not run on my PC. It would startup, but as soon as I did anything it would crash. Crash reporting failed because Cantabile.com was down.

Cantabile.com os back up and Cantabile is wotking ahain on my PC. This leads me to believe that Cantabile requires an internet connection to run. Even though I have a lot of time invested in Cantabile. that may be a deal breaker for me. I can’t have it fail at a gig due to no Wi-Fi.

I downloaded the GigPerformer demo today. It has some pluses and minuses but I was able to easily run a rack that was giving me time load issues in Cantabile. However it has a deal breaker as far as show notes. It uses chord pro. No sheet music with that. n

Camelot pro is up next.

1 Like

I run Cantabile (Performer) with internet disabled at all my gigs. It doesn’t need a network connection to run.

2 Likes

Definitely not. I ran Cantabile on a networked PC while the domain was down and everything was fine. Cantabile checks for updates at startup, if you want to do this manually, just disable auto-update. You can also disable sending reports.

There is also Steinberg VST Live. Good luck.

1 Like

I also typically run with all network devices disabled. I had a plugin related crash yesterday and the only issue was that the report couldn’t be sent when I enabled the network.
Important to stress that Cantabile is NOT reliant on any internet connection at all.

2 Likes

Hi raydyo,

I am physically disconnected from the internet 99.9% of the time so that Windows does not phone home. No problem with Cantabile, it is very stable. Send a message to @Brad.

Good luck.

1 Like

Cantabile doesn’t phone home except:

1. When activating a license using online-activation (offline activation is available if you prefer, or don’t have any internet available)
  2. When you attempt to run a build for which your subscription has expired, Cantabile will try to automatically re-activate itself by looking for a extended subscription.
  3. If you have “Check for Updates” enabled (in Tools → Options → About) it will check for an update at most once per day (and it requests three things - latest release notes, in-app promos and blog rss feed)
  4. Trial versions of Solo/Performer phone home each run as anti-fraud check. Purchased licenses don’t do this.

And… the domain issues with the site are now resolved.

Brad

1 Like

I’ll need to investigate this as I wasn’t aware of issues here. I’ll be away next week but will look into it as soon as I’m back.

1 Like

I’m still a little freaked out about this, but it seems to be back to normal. I have turned off auto updates and manually updated to the latest 4192(?). The time load issue I was planning to work on yesterday has magically improved.

My subscription is current.

Is it possible that having internet, but busted website is different than simply not having internet?

1 Like

Not if you still need the stupid Steinberg Licensing system to use it. I wouldn’t go near it for all the vsts in China!

Incidentally, I have run Cantabile several times when there was no internet connection with no problems whatsoever.

1 Like

I still keep my Cubase license on e-licenser dongle. :neutral_face:

Possible - it’s on my list to investigate when I get home in a week’s time.

2 Likes