Delay compensation

Could delay compensation (when synced to external sequencer) be added to Cantabile’s features?

Non sequitur I suppose :roll_eyes:

:grinning:

Hi Nigel,

Not so much … :grin: I think we thought @brad would be the place to get the answer so I put a call out here to him and he will get to you about it soon I imagine. Sounds like a good thing for external hardware and to be honest it might exist and I’m completely in the dark about it because I use no external synths. Anyway I hope you get the answers you need.

Dave

Cheers Dave! :sunglasses:

Possibly… what exactly should this do and how would it be configured?

What I was thinking of was trying to compensate for the delay produced in the use of plugins like Nectar 3 so that all the sounds would be in sync during playback. Presumably it would have no application in live/recording use as you would need to design a time machine :smile:

Hence ‘non sequitur’.

This is why Nectar 2 had ‘tracking’ mode which minimised delay for live use.

So, having though about it, I retract my feature request.

Thanks a lot for your time!

2 Likes

Well, in recording applications (DAWs), other sounds are simply delayed according to the “slowest” one, so that everything arrives on time - called plugin delay compensation (PDC). Doesn’t need a time machine - simply delays everything else…

Whilst this is OK for recording, it’s not something we want when playing live. Even some DAWs have a feature to disable PDC - e.g. when recording virtual instruments; you don’t want additional delay there.

So not really a great feature for a live host - we want our sounds ASAP…

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

But you really would need a time machine to make things happen before “now”…

So no go for live use as I said :smiley:

1 Like