Create a new song and Cantabile always creates a new setlist?

Can’t you just have it in a “song” mode? Why does everything have to go in a setlist?

It does not have to go on a set list.

Can you elaborate a bit, seems that there is something about your manual workflow? Maybe a step-by-step description with indication of what happens for each step, and what you expected.

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

I open Cantable, and it opens immediately in Setlist…as in the header bar on the left hand side…(Record:Setlist:States:Monitor) I assume that means it is in set list mode?

When I press ctrl-s it then asks to save the new setlist…I have to press save-as to get to the save song section.
If I then edit that song, say to change the sound being used, but the rest of the hardware setup stays the same, instead of saving to a new song with the amendments, it keeps asking me to save to a new setlist.

haha, very confusing!

You have to click somewhere out of the setlist pane. Then hit ctrl-s. The save function is context dependant, IE, if you’re in a rack, it’ll save the rack. In a song… Etc.

P

Cool, thank you.

Just to be clear: Cantabile is ALWAYS in setlist mode - there are no separate “song” or “setlist” modes. Just when you open Cantabile initially, the setlist happens to be empty…

The issue with saving is that the save command is context dependent, (as @Toaster wrote above). This means that depending on where you are in the GUI, the Save command does different things. So when you are editing a rack, Save command will save the current rack, when you are editing a song, it saves the song, and when you are working in the Setlist panel, Save will save the setlist.

This is all dependent on where you have the current focus - i.e. where you clicked last. It takes a bit of getting used to, but overall, it works OK. I personally would rather have dedicated save commands for racks, setlists and songs - @brad: is this shifting focus of the Save command really following the “principle of least surprise”?

Just make sure that when you want to save a song, you have the focus on the actual song panel and not in the setlist panel, then saving should work nicely.

Cheers,

Torsten

Thanks, yes I get that. Got it working ok, a little bit non-standard, but it works!

Not really, more along the lines of the principle of “how to the hell am I going to fit all these commands in one menu”. I’ve changed it a few times over the years and I’m not particularly attached to the current approach so I might revisit it again.

3 Likes