Corky's Guitar Amp Sim Tips and Tweaks Page šŸŽø

Iā€™m one of these strange guys who never had a real guitar amp - I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m missing :wink:

3 Likes

True! At least you are getting very close to the real thing with the current gush of products. :wink:
I still have a Silvertone head and cabinet from the late 60s. I would imagine it could be a collectors item, but I never checked into it. John Fogerty of Creedence used one to get his famous sound.

You missing the cost of replacing tubes, ripped cones, probably a back injury (if you went for, say, a Fender Twin) :smiley:

1 Like

Exactly why I am dealing with my back now! My Fender surely aided in my demise.

Some people watch sitcoms - I watch the ā€œUncle Dougā€ channel :grinning:

The face plate is so familiar. Uncle Doug channelā€¦LOL. :rofl:
Since you and I are both ā€œDougā€, it makes this even more coincidental.

I have the 1485 with cabinet. Bought it from Sears.

Jack White used a 1485 head and cab on ā€œSeven Nation Armyā€.

UPDATE: https://www.silvertoneworld.net/amplifiers/1485/1485.html

Ahhh. Did not know that, but that would make sense as he is all about guitar history. I like Jack White, but really didnā€™t notice his amps. Paid more attention to his pedalboard.

@Torsten

I downloaded the demo on SS-11X, and I am getting the same problem I have with Amplitube 5. Click mouse on a parameter, no action unless I click outside of the GUI. I updated Win10, and downloaded new driversā€¦still the same, yet it works great on my retired Win7 machine. GRRRR. :angry:

Hmmm, foonkyā€¦

None of that here - smells like a Graphics card / driver issueā€¦

Thatā€™s what I am thinking, but all drivers are up to date. Maybe a setting of some kind.

Maybe try an older driver?
Other option: are you using a laptop with two graphics options (some gaming laptops have an Intel CPU with Intel HD Graphics + an Nvidia chip for gaming)? In that case trying the other graphics option could work.

Hmmmm. Will give it a try. Donā€™t know if there are options.

What a great idea Corky! Thanks for starting this. Like many of you I was using s gear for several years, it sounded the best to my ears. And there are still some tones I have from it that work well. I recently moved to THU. I like it because of its tone, flexibility and how quick it is to find tones that work for me. I hadnā€™t heard of Neural so thanks for that tip Iā€™ll be sure to check it out.

I had been using a scarlet 2i4, but switched to a quantum 2626 recently, and itā€™s amazing. I must be very sensitive to latency because even though I got used to the scarlettā€™s latency and compensated for it, it always drove me a little crazy. I immediately noticed a difference with the quantum, Itā€™s so low I canā€™t feel it at all and I havenā€™t even bothered to run latencymon on it. I think itā€™s running around 3-5 ms. And it sounds so much better to my ears. Probably one of the best purchases Iā€™ve made in the last few years.

Maybe as this page develops we can share
more tones and other plugs. When I get some time Iā€™ll post a few. Thanks again!
Tom

1 Like

The Neural Gojira is definitely worth the price. From squeaky clean to chuggingā€¦all are good. I have some Nembrini and Softube stuff Iā€™ve yet to try, But this one has really caught my attention. Everyone raves over the Cory Wong, but I find he Gojira more versatile. The pedals and rack fx in the Neural plugs are phenomenal. I may have to do a blind comparative test, similar to the Leslie test I did on the VST Organ page, sometime back.

I agree, I tried Gojira and itā€™s really nice. I still like Plini. But for certain 70s Marshall sounds I still love the Nembrini MRH810. Itā€™s still the only amp (along with their chorus) Iā€™ve truly nailed Alex Lifesonā€™s classic tone with.

Me to, I have only had modelling pedals like the Line6 Helix, never a ā€œreal ampā€

I think Iā€™ve about settled on a hybrid approach. Iā€™ve culled the hardware pedals down to a very few that donā€™t have viable software analogs, using hardware amp heads, using Cantable/VST in the amp FX loops, using reactive load box then another Cantabile/VST setup post the load box for IR and ā€œhifiā€ FX instances either pre or post IR.

A bit more complicated, but for my money there is no sim that can match a proper treble booster into a good tube amp as the backbone of tone, so after all the dollars spent thinking this sim or that sim gets me there, Iā€™ve given up and going hybrid. Cantible/VST in the FX loop and for IR and post amp FX is just fantasticā€¦and as long as I no longer have to transport speaker cabs Iā€™m good with it.

I treat guitar amps like an organ/Leslie- anytime I have a chance to use the real thing I always would choose that. The virtual route is purely when the cost/convenience trade-off forces it. Which, for me, is pretty much all the time now lol

The idea of real amp/virtual cab makes a lot of sense to me. Iā€™d like to experiment with that but I donā€™t even own a decent amp.

Andā€¦ no longer hauling an amp head, foot pedals (with 9v batteries or adapters), extra cabling, heavier guitars, etc. As Iā€™ve reached the golden years, the less I haul, the happier I am. Hauling a ton of gear is for whipper-snappers. :rofl:
Besidesā€¦I enjoy seeing the faces of other guitarists trying to figure out where my sound is coming from, with no pedal boards or amps behind me.

1 Like